Contact lenses for target shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

enricovolante

Contact lenses for target shooting

Post by enricovolante »

Hello,

As many of you I need to wear shooting glasses during the sessions.
The problem is that I really don't feel comfortable with the actual frames not considering that every time I change position I need to set-up the lens as well.
Since I don't like to purchase an additional lens, I was considering contact lenses.
Do you have any experience about their use?

Thanks a lot
pwh

Post by pwh »

Are you asking about the use of contact lenses or, do you already use them for everyday normal use? If so I would certainly hate the idea of having to change a contact lens every time I shoot although I have never worn them. I just use ordinary prescription glasses but am waiting to make an appointment
with an optometrist to get a shooting lens.

~Phil
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

It sounds as though you do not use contact lenses. If not, I think you should try them, if only for everyday use, unless you have a significant problem with astigmatism. I have found the use-for-one-day type of soft lenses extremely comfortable. You would, of course, need a prescription that allows you to focus correctly on the front sight without fatigue.

Objections to contact lenses have been raised, but I think they are more theoretical than problems in practice. The lens will certainly move about on your cornea, but this will have only a minimal effect on spherical correction. The focal length of the soft lenses will change with their hydration, and they can become a little uncomfortable as they dry out. Most wearers have no problem. If you have 'dry eyes', wetting drops are available to counter this problem.

I shot prone smallbore, using just one contact lens. I had good correction and no problems. I then 'upgraded' to 'proper' frames, and found them much less convenient - too many adjustments, fragile, etc. If you shoot 3P, you might want at least 2 sets of frames. Also, us oldies often find that the correction needed changes from day to day. This is easily achieved with several strengths of contact lens, without the need for several lens holders and the need to re-centre at each change.

Re: Contact lenses for target shooting

Post by Guest »

The main point to be made is that contact lenses will always put the pupil of the aiming eye in the direct center of the focal point. This is not always the case with shooting frames. There is always that minute adjustment to made to get the pupil in the focal point of the lens. I assume that you are a young shooter and do not require diopter change for up close work. Give the contacts a try and I am sure that you will find a great improvement.

Matt

Post by Guest »

My shooting improved when I had LASIK surgery. Funny, but my shooting eye did not get to 20/20, it only healed to 20/60. My non shooting eye is 20/20. Even with the nonideal fix, I shoot much better because the focus is consistent. I would also like to point out, I shoot with a scope.
enricovolante

Post by enricovolante »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Yes, I am a relatively young shooter (30 ys old) and I'm shortsighted but I don't need any additional lens for up close work.
At the moment I don't use contact lenses but I wear them in the past (10 years ago) never while target shooting.
The idea of having contact lenses instead of shooting frames is many, for example:

- I don't need to set them up every time I change position (3P) or purchase another very expensive lens for prone.
- If I slightly hit the diopter it is easy that the lens goes off-center
- Shooting frames look horrible and uncomfortable

Taking into consideration all the above, I considered to try contact lenses, only during the training session (3 hours)
What I'm afraid is that the lens will move during the aiming phase

Post by Guest »

enricovolante wrote:Hello,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Yes, I am a relatively young shooter (30 ys old) and I'm shortsighted but I don't need any additional lens for up close work.
At the moment I don't use contact lenses but I wear them in the past (10 years ago) never while target shooting.
The idea of having contact lenses instead of shooting frames is many, for example:

- I don't need to set them up every time I change position (3P) or purchase another very expensive lens for prone.
- If I slightly hit the diopter it is easy that the lens goes off-center
- Shooting frames look horrible and uncomfortable

Taking into consideration all the above, I considered to try contact lenses, only during the training session (3 hours)
What I'm afraid is that the lens will move during the aiming phase
Hard lenses will float on the surface of the cornea. This is the reason that hard lens wearers have to keep blinking to make the lenses pick up via the eye lid and recenter on the cornea. This is not the case with soft lenses as they are much lighter - they stay on the cornea without the need to blink to recenter.

Matt
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

My son wears soft contacts every day and has been shooting fine with them. I wear glasses since my eyes are too "dry" and even good soft lenses will actually flip off the surface with regularity. I ended up using an AHG diopter to meet my +1.5 nearsightness, and it's worked perfectly. I have also added a 10-inch bloop tube, but I have not seen any difference in my scores.

One interesting problem I had was when the iris assembly became loose during a match and my scores suffered terribly. Once screwed on tightly, my scores were back where they needed to be.
rbs

contact lens

Post by rbs »

Definetly try the contacts, they are the way to go. Have your doctor give you some different mfg's to determine the most comfortable lens (they are diffferent). I shoot with contacts and know a lot of people that do also, you will be glad you did.
Rod
MGT

Post by MGT »

I have contact lenses, but I get eye strain if I use them for prone shooting.

I use a pair of Knobloch's for standing and kneling and switch to a pai of Junkers for prone.

Also, if you get a speck of fouling in between the eye and contact, it's gping to cost you time to get it cleared.

My opinion.

MGT