Investing in first shooting jacket/pants, need advice.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Snookie

Investing in first shooting jacket/pants, need advice.

Post by Snookie »

Hello, as stated I'm getting ready to invest in my first shooting jacket/pants (junior shooter), so I'm looking for something more on the cheaper end. What I've found so far is a "stiff double canvas" on Champion Shooter's ( LINK/LINK ) or a more expensive standard set from Monard. ( LINK )

Now, clearly there's a huge price difference, one set being around $300, where as the other is roughly $600. Of course I'm more inclined to lean towards the cheaper one, but am I sacrificing quality in that? Seeing as how the Monard has leather in key spots. Though I've also seen people win local competitions with the Champion set. (I'm aware rifle/shooter were a major factor in that as well. )

Does the leather on the Monard really make a difference?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

(Note: I shoot smallbore prone and 3-P at 50 feet, 50 yards, and 100 yards.)
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

my first shooting jacket/pants (junior shooter)
If you don't mind me asking, have you stopped growing and how long do you anticipate that your kit will fit? Because the the answer to your query is the jacket and trousers that fit the best. As a guide, the more panels used to make the garment the better the fit that can be achieved, but that also makes it more expensive. The inclusion of leather will make the kit a bit more durable, but properly looked after double canvas will wear adequately as well.

So what's the bottom line? Well, you really have to try on the kit and find the best fit. If one set fits well and the other doesn't then the choice is made. Of both fit satisfactorily then you can make a decision based on value for money.

As a last thought, don't forget to take into account the likely resale value of any kit when you trade up in a few years time.

I hope that this helps.

Rutty
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Were you looking at the Monard junior jacket and pants? I thought their junior stuff was about the same price as others. I do like the entry level monard clothing over the champ choice and champ shooters stuff mostly because it seems to fit better and has more size options.
randy1952

Price

Post by randy1952 »

As addressed above you need to tell us if you are still growing. We are all assuming that you are still a junior. If so, I think you need to look at the Monard web site a little closer. They sell a starter and junior sets that are either close to the prices that Champion's Choice jackets and the pants appear to be under the price of Champion's Choice. Monard is also closing out last year model of starter jackets and maybe pants for their newer starter II models. If they have an older model in your size you'll save even more money. They have a special on their junior jackets, which makes them cheaper then the Champion's Choice jackets. I saw a sample of the newer starter models and they are improvement over their older model. The price you are quoting is for their standard and custom sets, which if you've stopped growing you may want to consider.

I would go over the size charts shown on the Mondard website and see if they have a jacket and pants in your size. There probably isn't going to be a size that fits you exactly, buy you can call Mondard and they'll advise you as to what options will be available to you. Our club has gotten good service and advice from Mondard. We have bought from both Champion's Choice and Mondard and in my opinion for quality I prefer the Monard.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Call Liz at MonardUSA
Liz
Try & Bom, Inc.
Phone: 503-419-6310
Fax: 503-488-5859
www.monardusa.com
and see what they have in the close outs ... they were a bit sparce a month ago.

Also give Champions Choice a call and see what sizes they have in their used/closeouts. I purchased a "used" pair of pants from them and they were brand spanking new .... it was a return, but still has the paper from the factory wrapping them up. Their CC jackets are Gehmann and fit very well too. Very reasonable cost
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I have and use the Monard Starter jacket and pants and I think they are quite a value. I would suggest you check this line out (I'd guess you missed these at MonardUSA as the price is well below what you are quoting). Also, Liz and Jociem are extremely helpful and knowledgable. If it were'nt for their unending patience (through many, many e-mails) I doubt I'd be as happy as I am.

In fact next year or the year after when I graduate to a custom outfit I will once again go to MonardUSA simply because I know they will take care of me.

http://monardusa.com/int-starter.htm
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
Snookie

Post by Snookie »

Sorry, I actually turned 18 last April, though I've been shooting for about 4 years now using club provided equipment. The jacket I used there was actually one from Champion Shooters, which I liked, but wasn't tight enough.

So I'm pretty certain I'm finish growing.

Thanks for everyone's advice and responses.
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Champion shooters will trade their stuff in if you do out grow it, and you won't be sorry with either the coat or the pants. If you order from them, call them and they will help you get the correct size. That said you can't go wrong with the Monard stuff either. I think proper fit is more important than who made them.