the right stance, and how to see straight

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

the right stance, and how to see straight

Post by Guest »

Yesterday, I happily took delivery of some Varga shooting glasses. (Until now I'm been making do with some plastic safety glasses, with one lens made translucent with emery paper.) Now I'm playing at adjusting the glasses for a good fit: setting the blinder to eliminate the double image of the sights, and centering the lens/iris on the target so that the plane of the lens is perpendicular to the line of sight to the target.

I'm surprised at how "off-centre" the glasses are now set: they show that when I take my usual stance, with my head turned, I am not looking at the target straight on, but with my eyes also turned fifteen degrees or so to the right.

Should I consider this to be a problem? I think I feel comfortable in this stance, but should I be training myself to stand less obliquely, with head turned so that my eyes are looking straight ahead?
ASA

Re: the right stance, and how to see straight

Post by ASA »

Anonymous wrote:...I think I feel comfortable in this stance..
This is the criteria: What can you consistently repeat? If your described position meets this then it is OK.
With my shooting glasses (from champion) I have a similar adjustment. When I look into the mirror with a non-shooting position the position of the glas looks quite distorted. But in my stance for shooting it is well adapted for the purpose.

Axel
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

the MEC information at http://www.mec-shot.com/downloads/glass ... teengl.pdf might be of help
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Thanks, that's reassured me. That MEC document in particular shows that there's nothing wrong with a modicum of eccentricity when shooting!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

MichaelB wrote:That MEC document in particular shows that there's nothing wrong with a modicum of eccentricity when shooting!
Nothing wrong? It's almost compulsory ;-)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:
MichaelB wrote:That MEC document in particular shows that there's nothing wrong with a modicum of eccentricity when shooting!
Nothing wrong? It's almost compulsory ;-)
Horses for courses...

While 'eccentricity' (I love it!) is not so much of a problem for an event such as Rapid Fire Pistol, for extended events (10m and 50m) reducing eye muscle strain is more of a consideration.

Spencer