Semi-auto vs. bolt action .22

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MGT

Semi-auto vs. bolt action .22

Post by MGT »

What would the advantage of using a semi-auto rimfire in a smallbore prone match. Any, none, disadvantage?

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

Gerard T.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

The only advantage would be not having to move anything between shots, so your NPA or head position would almost certainly never change.

However, this is offset by the fact that you'd have to change magazines periodically, and that you'd be very hard pressed to find a semi auto capable of shooting on the level of most of the single shots. Not to mention the rules of most matches will specify single shot only.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You could use a semi-auto or even a fully-auto in competition if you wanted to - but, under the safety rules, you'd have to load only one round at a time:u
7.2.5.1 ... Even if the rifle has a magazine, only one cartridge may be loaded. ...
And there's also the point that it's far more difficult to make a semi-auto that's as accurate as a single-shot, so even if you could get one as accurate as a normal match rifle, you'd be spending a lot more money to do so.
MGT

Post by MGT »

It must not be a safety rule because there are many more matches where a semi-auto high-power rifle is used with 5 rounds in the chamber/magazine.

Also the CMP Rimfire sporter matches allow 5 rounds in the magazine AND the shooter has to go from a standing position to prone with a loaded rifle...albeit with a heavy trigger per those rules.

The rule is there, but isn't applicable as a safety rule. So it must be a performance issue. I suspect it's easier to stay in position with a semi- but the current thinking is that a semi- can't compete with a bolt. I'm not so sure about that. I've seen some semis- shoot some amazing scores, in a very rapid fashion.

I wonder if the rule is a throwback to something in the past when semi-auto rimfire rifles were un-reliable and shooters would spend more time fixing them than shooting thuring a match.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

MGT wrote:It must not be a safety rule
It is - but it's an ISSF safety rule, not an NRA/CMP/whomever one. That rule quoted above is from the ISSF rulebook.
MGT

Post by MGT »

Well let's look at the ISSF and their shooting events:

A prone shooter with a rifle probably has the lowest chance of creating an accidental dangerous situation than any other ISSF shooting event. I've seen trapshooters faint during long doubles shootoffs. I saw a rapid fire (ISSF) shooter drop his loaded pistol. I saw an Olympian skeet shooter shoot the house more than once.

Not allowing semi-auto rifles may be a "safety" rule...but it's not really a safety issue.

As a range safety officer, I see more marginal gun handling during a rapid fire sport pistol event (5 rounds in the gun) than I ever saw during a 50-meter prone match (ISSF events). The range control personnel also have a very noticable "urgent" tone when conducting pistol events compared to when running a prone event.

There must be something else that brought about exclusion of the semi-auto rifle. Otherwise, with a safety slant, there would not be a rapid fire ISSF pistol event or Intl. trap or skeet. AND the trap and skeet shooters are walking around to their post with their guns. I helped sponsor a youngster heading for an ISSF International Trap competition who used a SEMI-AUTO Beretta shotgun.

Loading more than 1 round in a prone rimfire rifle is just not a safety issue. So what is the rule really about? I suspect it's an advantage to the shooter that helps keep the position intact.
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

I really doubt you could find a semi auto that could come anywhere close to the level of percison in todays bolt guns. If you did it would cost an obscene amout of money and ultimatley the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Speaking a someone who runs matches and who is often repsonsible for insuring the safety of a group of jr. shooters I am thankful for this rule.

I tell my son that semi autos are for people who can't shoot or who's targets shoot back.
MGT

Post by MGT »

Deal,

You're giving your son bad advice.
pwh

Post by pwh »

pdeal wrote:
I tell my son that semi autos are for people who can't shoot or who's targets shoot back.
Wow!.....that would really put a damper on 25M rapid fire pistol matches!! I don't believe Alexi Klimov, Ralf Schumann, etc. had their targets shooting back at them in world cup matches and if I'm not mistaken, they can shoot fairly well!! Granted, I'm referring to a pistol here but, a semi auto is a semi auto no mater if it be a rifle or handgun competition.
I'm all for safety first and foremost but I'll kindly have to disagree with your philosophy on this issue.

~Phil
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

This is the rifle forum, I am a rifle shooter. And for a new rifle shooter that is not bad advice! You will note I am in West Virginia. Here we don't consider semiautos evil as in most of the rest of the world so that is not my intent. I just want him to learn to make the shot count.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Interesting topic, but let's be careful and stay on the topic.

I find that in a semi-auto rifle (this applies to Savages, Remingtons, and Rugers that I have fired) getting the first shot from the magazine and the remaining shots to have the same POI is difficult (well .... for me impossible). By that I mean, the shots fired from the first that is hand cycled and the remaining that are cycled by the firing action are different.

Shots 2-xx are OK, but shot #1 is always a bit off. On a good semi, this #1 shot is usually in the same location (in a decent rifle) and can be adjusted for. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've worked on quite a bit, and shot #1 is always 1/2" high and 1.25" right ... at 50 yds (CMP Rimfire Sporter distances) shots #2-5 care all in the same hole if I take my time.

I've had shooters fire in sectionals (loading one shot at a time) that just get real frustrated if they don't know there that hand cycled chot is going to go ... sometimes their cycling technique can get them consistent, but many times that 1st shot will only hole a 6-7 ring somewhere.

My preference for consistent shot to shot placement (from #1 thru #xx) is a bolt action.

If anyone knows how to achieve consistent #1 to #2 placement (especially in a Ruger 10/22) please pipe up. (Note: spending $300 or so is not really an option) My best advise on the carbines is to first remove the barrel band and shoot w/o it. That alone will do a whole lot
froggie5215

1st shot flyer in semiauto

Post by froggie5215 »

I'm told a 1/16" roll pin above the front of the firing pin to limit vertical travel of the firing pin stops those hand cycled flyers in 10/22s

Post by Guest »

One downside to a semi-auto would be the choice of stocks. Does anyone produce a proper adjustable prone stock for the 10-22 or other semi auto?

Another would be barrel length. Unless I'm mistaken semi-autos tend to have shorter barrels, no problem with a scope and good handling for hunting, but not good with aperture sights. You could fit an extension tube to bring the sight radius back to normal, but not everyone likes these.

The facility for very rapid shots might tempt beginners into poor habits, especially regarding breathing patterns.

Tim S