FWB Wood vs. ALU

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

FWB Wood vs. ALU

Post by Guest »

I am thinking about converting to another air rifle. Right now I use an Anschutz 8002 alu, but it doesnt feel right. I've shot some pretty high scores in 3p air and intl. but I'm not getting the comfort out of it that i should. I use an ANS ALU smallbore and its comfortable in every position and standing. From what I've heard, the FWB alu's fit much like an ANS alu smallbore, but there hard to get used to and the wood is comfortable right out of the box but does'nt have as many adjustments(grip, palm rest, etc). Price isn't much of a deal between the two.

Can anyone reflect on this?

Thanks
-Mike
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Shoot whatever you feel comfortable with. If you can get comfortable without the adjustments the aluminum offers, then those extra adjustments serve no purpose. The air rifles are just as accurate, regardless of which stock they're in.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

There are world class shooters using both Alu and wood. They are winning with both types. As the last post said, whats comfortable for you.
I personall think that wood has a lot going for it still and that's why Walther have brought out the LG-300XT Anatomic. Its an all laminate wood stock but has just as much if not more adjustment and balance capability than the alu rifles.
Walther have proved that wood has a future!
anschutz

wood alloy stocks

Post by anschutz »

A lot of the Russian air rifle shooters seem to be going back to the wooden stocks, also quite a few of the Chinese, but as the others have said it's what suits the individual shooter
MGT

Post by MGT »

Interesting...If I set my rifle up to be totally "comfortable", my scores drop noticably (5-8 pts).

I shorten the stock and feel "scrunched" but the scores prove it's best. I use a forward handstop, and feel pressure on my chest, but scores look better than when I pull it back and shoot a higher position.

My cork filled kneeling roll feels the best, but I wobble more on it.

There are some tensions that I guess I need in the rifle/position to do my best. I'm not sure why.
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

I have a FWB .22, and the adjustments on that are numerous, as well as being far easier to adjust than Anschutz. Im not sure if they use the same stock for the air rifles, but if they do that is definitley a better option than an anschutz.