What ammo to use?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Csizzle

What ammo to use?

Post by Csizzle »

I am looking for good quality ammo for a .22 but can't afford the TenX. I know each rifle shoots a grouping a little different and takes trial and error. I am looking for some recommendations for some ammo brands to try.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

My Anschutz likes CCI Std Vel (blue box) *better* than most of the $$$$ match grade stuff.

You are correct- 22s are somewhat particular in that regard; high-$$$ is not always get you the smallest groups . . .
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

My son and I both shoot A-1913s. After extensive testing, his likes SK Jagd Match, and mine likes Eley Black. If I recall, the SK Jagd Match was $36/500 and the Eley was $105/500. Glad he likes the cheaper ammo!!
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

SK/Wolf are very tough to beat for the price. My buddy Josh Albright won the iron sights prone championship at Camp Perry a few years back with an ANCIENT Anschutz and Wolf Target. My rifle shot SK Match (Pink circle on the box) as well as anything else that had ever been down the barrel.
Grzegorz G

Post by Grzegorz G »

Two years ago I visited Lapua in Germany and tested Polar Biathlon ammo. We have found 13.6 mm groups and this is quite ok, as the test was done with a hard wise and then with Kudelin's testing wise it gives 11mm. Not expensive ammo and my son last year shot with it on our National Cup 597 + 104.2. Few days ago he got 594 in Munich during WCup. We have never found better ammo from Eley or RWS.