Anshutz 54 vs. 64 Action

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Misny

Anshutz 54 vs. 64 Action

Post by Misny »

I mostly frequent the Shooter's Lounge and Pistol areas, so I appologize in advance, if this topic has been covered recently. What makes the Anshutz 54 action superior to the 64 action? Is it faster lock time? Is the 54 action more durable?

Post by Guest »

Yes more durable, and a faster lock time. The newer vintage 54's also have the 5018 trigger that the 64 does not offer. All in all, the 54 is worth the money.
Southpaw

54 vs. 64

Post by Southpaw »

I think the price difference always prompts the question.
The 54 is built heavier, has more parts and connects to a better/more adjustable trigger. It's more likely going to last longer and stay consistent.
I personally don't understand the size of the price difference.
If you can afford a 54 actioned gun with the goal of frequent use and high expectations, then in most cases, a 54 will not disappoint you [there is always a lemon somewhere in a bunch].

SP
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

the 64's and 54's don't really compare at all. The 64 is a very entry level rifle. It is well suited to jr shooters and jr. programs. They tend to be comparatively light. The 64 action is a relatively thin tube. The 54 is really designed to go for several hundred thousand rounds trouble free and they do.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the responses. I don't quite get the durability issue, though. I've never worn out a gun by shooting it, and I've shot some guns quite a bit. I can see where the more adjustable trigger would be a benefit. I wonder about the weight of the rifle. Do top shooters want a heavier rifle? Is there a difference in the accuracy department between the 64 and 54?

Post by Guest »

The Match 54 will be more accurate than a Match 64. The Match 64 is a good accurate rifle, but the 54 has a better trigger, faster lock time, more solid action.

A heavy rifle (within reason) will be more stable; the extra weight will better resist any twitches. The Match 64 will weigh 9-10lb, a Match 54 11-15lb.

One donside to the Match 64 1903 is the stock, this is quite simple and basic, not so bad for beginners as there is less to get wrong, but less good as you improve and want to make the rifle fit you. Conversely there is a much greater choice of adjustable stocks for the Match 54. This is important if buying a second hand rifle, if the barrel is good you can upgrade with a new stock. This is not possible (or more difficult with the Match 64).