Shooting boot problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

peepsight

Shooting boot problems

Post by peepsight »

Hi all
I get pins and needles in my feet and then cramps after about 30 minutes of wearing my shooting boots. They are Sauer boots and a perfect fit. I do not ty the laces up tight and i have tried ortho insoles but no improvement. This is weird, i take them off and put my trainers back on, no problem with my feet for the rest of the shoot.
Any ideas?
Ryan Tanoue

Post by Ryan Tanoue »

Have you had these sauer boots for long? if you just changed to them i would suggest finding a friend who has a similar size foot but a different brand of boot and see if you continue to have issues....it just might be that sauer is not the right brand of boot for you.
ryan
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

My Sauer boots are almost new and have been hardly used, they are a British size 10.
I think trying on another make of boot is a good idea.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

In what position are they bothering you?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Standing only
WRC

Post by WRC »

Maybe your trainers are flatter - check the height of the heels on the Sauer. Perhaps the boots are making you feel slightly "downhill", and your feet are fighting that feeling. PL
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

WRC
Wow, thats it, my trainers are so flat that most of my weight is over the heels, but the boots throw my weight on to the balls of my feet which is where the pins and needles start.
I'm not sure what regulations there are with the exception of the sole thickness and out side dimension for boot construction, but the boot makers really should look at this problem.
I also shoot better with my trainers as my stance seems to be better balanced and they aid my lean back, the boots don't.
I have heard other shooters complain about their boots doing the same thing so i'm not alone in this.
Any suggestions?
pal177

Post by pal177 »

Glad to have helped! A few radical thoughts: Anschutz/Stenvaag boots seem to have a lower heel. Switch boots. Alter the insole to lower the heel inside the boot. Introduce the boot soles to the belt grinder. Or spend some time in higher heels (I really don't want to say "high heels", if you're a guy! :^) when you are not shooting, to train the feet. Again, meddle with the insoles - of your trainers this time - to create a higher heel effect. Got cowboy boots?!

When I was looking at boots a few years back, I also didn't like the forward lean of the Sauers. (too much like ski boots). Can you open the backs more?
Also, check your position and see if you can put more weight directly thru the heels, perhaps you are "standing on your toes" a little much. (at that, it could be the boot lean that is preventing you from doing this to begin with.)

PL
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

PL
Big problems, radical solutions. Its absolutely ironic that only yesterday my coach said the same thing about Sauer boots and he said switch makes such as Anschutz/Stenvaag or Truttmann.
Your advice is realy welcome and i thank you for it. I will work on my stance but may keep the 'chain saw' off for the moment as i might have a sale.
It realy does pay to shop around before buying boots as they are all different even though they are all constructed to the rules.
The best boot i ever had was back in the 70's made by Addidas, but they no longer make them.
Many thanks
Peepsight

Post by Guest »

In place of spending money unnecessarily, why don't you try removing the sole inserts and check the fit. If that works, fine. I have removed the inserts from my Sauer's and they feel just fine - no more discomfort.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Hi guest
I did as you suggested, removed the insoles and then did a 60 shot course. NO PROBLEMS! My feet were OK.
I would love to learn the physio behind this,
Thanks again
Peepsight
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

If you continue to suffer foot problems then consult a qualified podiatrist (or whatever they're called stateside). You may need custom insoles, as I did, to help alleviate back and knee pain. And yes they really work !

Rob.

Post by Guest »

peepsight wrote:Hi guest
I did as you suggested, removed the insoles and then did a 60 shot course. NO PROBLEMS! My feet were OK.
I would love to learn the physio behind this,
Thanks again
Peepsight
Peepsight - it's called arch support. Your footwear has to fit perfectly to withstand long durations of standing or kneeling. It just so happens that the interior of your boot(s) (without the inserts) now fit your feet more comfortably than with the inserts. Examine your most comfortable footwear that you wear. Feel the inside of them and compare to the boot. Any difference? Glad to have helped you. Matt
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Thanks Mat
It seems to work, i have just made up some very thin 1/16" insoles out of cork and it feels even better.
peepsight