How about using nitrogen instead of compressed air?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

How about using nitrogen instead of compressed air?

Post by coolcruiser »

My location (NE CT) has no close source of scuba air for my Anschutz 2002. Recently when I inquired at a local welding supply they suggested using nitrogen as a cheaper and more readily available source of compressed gas. The price of 300 cuft of breatheable air(not scuba) at 2500psi is $28.69. The same volume and pressure of nitrogen is $18.00. Does anybody have an expert opinion regarding the use of nitrogen instead of air?
Thanks

Post by Guest »

I have read in these forums that it can be done, however, be aware that N2 can inert a space - ie displace all the breathing air out of it. Take care to use/store small amounts in well vented areas. Search TargetTalk for keyword "nitrogen" and the past discussion should pop up.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I think it is more of a logistical thing than anything. If you could get a cylinder of nitrogen at 3000psi and could adapt it to fill the gun it should be better than air. Not having any oxygen in the gun should be better for it.

Re: How about using nitrogen instead of compressed air?

Post by Guest »

coolcruiser wrote:My location (NE CT) has no close source of scuba air for my Anschutz 2002. Recently when I inquired at a local welding supply they suggested using nitrogen as a cheaper and more readily available source of compressed gas. The price of 300 cuft of breatheable air(not scuba) at 2500psi is $28.69. The same volume and pressure of nitrogen is $18.00. Does anybody have an expert opinion regarding the use of nitrogen instead of air?
Thanks
Naturally scuba would be the first place to go, but there are other options. Other applications call for scuba or contained breathing like fireman, and industries that use dangerous bottled gas. Our local firehall does it for free/small donation. Generally N2 gets filled to a max of 2200 psi, and most may need 3000psi. I don't know if a gas supplier can fill N2 to 3000psi?
Ter
GOVTMODEL

Re: How about using nitrogen instead of compressed air?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

coolcruiser wrote:My location (NE CT) has no close source of scuba air for my Anschutz 2002. Recently when I inquired at a local welding supply they suggested using nitrogen as a cheaper and more readily available source of compressed gas. The price of 300 cuft of breatheable air(not scuba) at 2500psi is $28.69. The same volume and pressure of nitrogen is $18.00. Does anybody have an expert opinion regarding the use of nitrogen instead of air?
Thanks
This has been discussed before. One of the logistical problems involves industry standard fittings for different compressed gases being incompatible with each other.

There are plenty of dive shops in Rhode Island, and a full scuba tank lasts a good while for me (a pistol shooter).
pwh

Post by pwh »

Living in Chicago there is not exactly a multitude of Scuba/diving stores. I did find one but its location in the inner city was a real pain to drive to. Then a friend told me about his sons interest in paint ball guns of which there are plenty of stores. I found one which is only about a 15 minute drive from me. Cost is $15.00 and just tad more expensive than the Scuba store but its well worth it considering the short distance. Other than that you always have the option of a hand pump which I also have. A bit of work but it can be done quite easily.

~Phil