left right swing in standing 10M Air

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mishradk

left right swing in standing 10M Air

Post by mishradk »

Hi People,
I am shooting ISSF std 10 Mtrs Air rifle from some months..
I am facing few issues..
1. I am facing left right swing while taking aim
2. I use SCATT Trainer. Most of the time i observe that I have aimed correctly and the trace on scatt is just over the dot (10 dot) but in last .2 secs ( i think during my trigger operation ) it gets pulled down.. and I get a 9.3-9.6. otherwise I would have got min 10.7.
3. Also what exercise would help me to build my stamina and will help me in shooting? I am 168 cm Tall (5 ft 6 in) and 54 KG

Do you people have any suggestion how to fix this issue.. ?

Thank you in advance.. If you require, I can send my scatt files too..

Regards
MishraDK
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

I suspect that in the micro seconds before and during trigger let off, you are having some tiny muscle movement. This is probably down to what i call shot anticipation. Or in other words you are reacting just before the shot release. It is a very common problem amongst shooters.
Cures are more often found within your own mind rather than physical fitness although this does help.
Aviator24

left right swing in standing 10M air

Post by Aviator24 »

Another thing that you might want to consider is the weighting of your rifle. I know the J2 record holder 599/600 and he says that a back heavy rifle is alot easier to control. What kind of rifle do you have? We had a first year team this year at my school and because I read alot and shoot alot more than anyone else on my team, my coach requested that I help these people. In this experience I learned how to help people with this problem in all positions. Another thing you may want to look at is your butt-plate length. That's all I can think of right now. If you have a "mental block" saying that it's a physical thing, take a look at my "improving position/muscle memory" topic and that should help. If none of this helps, I have other resources. Feel free to ask any questions.
-Haynes
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Aviator makes a good point re the rifles weight.
A lot of shooters tend to have their rifle too heavy especially for the standing position. As AV said having some back weight is a good thing rifle balance is important. In the book Air Rifle Shooting they suggest that the balance point [centre of gravity] be between 2 and 5 CM in front of your support hand. This should be measured from the actual contact point on the fore end. This way you get some muzzle weight but not too much.
The weight of the rifle should correspond to how big and heavy you are.
Getting this fine tuned may reduce your sway. If you are a little guy/girl
5.5Kg [maximum allowed] is too heavy and i would be looking for under 5kg but still maintaining the balance point. Or in other words, whatever weight you have the rifle at keep the balance point at the same place.
That Guy

Two Tenths of a Second

Post by That Guy »

The 0.2 seconds correspond to the amount of time it takes to squeeze the trigger after you've decided to take the shot. The deviation from the target during that period of time is not a mechanical issue related to squeezing the trigger. It's a function of trying to concentrate on too many things at the same time.

There's a great article on this phenomenon at the SCATT website called "Error Number One in Shooting". Link is below. Scroll down to the second article (it appears first in German).

http://www.scatt.com/articles.htm