Correct shooting lens?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Correct shooting lens?

Post by pwh »

Have a question on shooting glasses. I’m talking about the frames for just one lens or possibly the lens that can attach to the rear sight. Yes, I know that the rear lens attachment is not allowed as for ISSF rules but I’m 61 and not too concerned about entering competition. I used to shoot a lot of center fire pistol years ago and would use what was (and still may be) called “pumpkin on a post”. Before I proceed I wear bifocals and my sight is not all that great albeit it could be a lot worse. Being that the eye cannot focus on a close object and a far object at the same time I was taught to focus on the front post sight and let the target just be somewhat of a fuzzy ball sitting atop the post of the front sight and it seemed to work out quite well but shooting a .45 or .357 and simply placing the shots in the 8 or 9 ring was pretty satisfactory. Obviously shooting a match air rifle at a 10 meter target is a whole other ball game as it were.

Considering my somewhat poor eyesight is the lens supposed to enable me to focus sharply on the front sight ring only or is one supposed to be able to focus on the front sight and also have the target be somewhat sharp at the same time and is this even possible? If I were to go to an optometrist would I simply ask that I need a proper lens so as to enable me to focus sharply on something that is approx. 31” away (this being the approx. distance of the rear peep sight to the front sight ring). When looking at the various lenses available for shooting frames they come in powers of +.50, +.75, +1.00 etc. Would I simply ask the optometrist which of these I need? It would be nice if I could simply order the frame or the rear attachment and get all of the available powered lenses, give each a try and then simply send back the ones I don’t need but I don’t think this would be plausible. As it is now I know without any doubt that I am in desperate need of a shooting lens.

~Phil
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

My optician is also a shooter and recommends that the prescription lens either as shooting glasses or as a fitment to the back sight needs to have a focul point between 2 - 5 Metres. This then enables the fore sight ring to be reasonably sharp yet still gives some definition to the target. Neither the fore sight ring and the target will ever be sharp together even with perfect eye sight. Most rifle shooters including air rifle prefer the fore sight sharp and the target a little less sharp but not blurred.
Its also a good idea to have your new lense anti reflection coated.
Lenses also need to be on 'axis' so any astignatism correction is in the right plane angle in the frame, Optomotrists will mark the lense for you incase you ever remove it from the frame.
Your optomotrist should be able to help if you explain what you are trying to achieve.
pwh

Post by pwh »

peepsight wrote:My optician is also a shooter and recommends that the prescription lens either as shooting glasses or as a fitment to the back sight needs to have a focul point between 2 - 5 Metres. This then enables the fore sight ring to be reasonably sharp yet still gives some definition to the target. Neither the fore sight ring and the target will ever be sharp together even with perfect eye sight. Most rifle shooters including air rifle prefer the fore sight sharp and the target a little less sharp but not blurred.
Its also a good idea to have your new lense anti reflection coated.
Lenses also need to be on 'axis' so any astignatism correction is in the right plane angle in the frame, Optomotrists will mark the lense for you incase you ever remove it from the frame.
Your optomotrist should be able to help if you explain what you are trying to achieve.
I take it then that I would pick out the shooting frames that I want and also purchase a blank lens and bring the whole mess to an optometrist?

Hmm....for the past ten or so years I have been going to these commercial places for glasses where they test your eyes and then you purchase their frames and lenses. I don't believe that they would be willing to handle something of this sort. Seems more than likely that I would have to go to a private optometrist to have this done. I might have to place this on the back burner for awhile as it seems this would prove to be a substantial investment and I've been spending a tad too much money as is lately. Damn...I really need a decent lens as the more I shoot the more I realize that my sight picture could be much improved!

~Phil
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I'm a pistol shooter... but I just went through this process myself:

There's a good resource with Dr. Norman Wong for pistol shooters (he's a BullsEye guy), some of the info may be beneficial for you too:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

I read through that info as a primer before even making an appointment. Then I brought in a copy of the top most article to my local eye dr. and asked the receptionist to pass it on, as well as if it were ok for me to bring my pistol into the office ~ both were affirmative.

On the day of the exam, I came early, did the paperwork and got into the Dr's chair where I briefly recapped what the article had said. He checked that my vision was still stable (I'm 20/20), then we went into the hall. He brought a few hand-held diopter lenses and slide them in front of my eye while I was focused on the sight and target (target was just a piece of paper with a few different sized dots and distances under the dots, so I could emulate 10m). It took all of about 5 minutes to run through 5 different lenses, rule out all but 2 and then test back and forth with those 2. At that point, I could have gotten a prescription and walked out to order my glasses.

The 2 options you have if you already have corrective lenses is just what shooting glasses are designed for, adding the correct adjustment in addition to your normal glasses (so you wear both at the same time). Or you can have the correct prescription ground to fit the shooting glasses lens holder. Personally, I just bought a pair of glasses with the +.50 diopter in both sides. these are like Really weak reading glasses (I couldn't find any cheap reading glasses under +1.00 diopter). a +1.00 diopter has a focal point of 1 meter, so half that diopter and you double the focal point (to 2 meters).

Anyway, it was really quite simple/easy/quick.... though I live in a small town where there are NO "national chains" that do glasses.

Brian
WRC

Post by WRC »

You can buy the shooting frames, but don't buy a lens. Go to the Dr. of your choice, with at least the distances from eye to rear & front sights. Some shooters bring along a yardstick with "sights" or at least the markings for front & rear. You want the front in focus & as much of the target as clear as you can get it. For some of us that's a big compromise!
Anyway, after they find the prescription for you, see if they will grind a lens to fit the lens holder. Both a chain & private lab have done this for me. Get them to understand how the frame w/ lens holder is worn, and as already written, mark the lens & holder.

If you ever get out to the western suburbs, drop me a line. We'd welcome you to visit our rifle club. :^) Coach Paula, Wheaton Rifle Club
p a l 1 7 7 "a t" a t t "d o t " n e t.
captbill

shooting glasses

Post by captbill »

I have had realy good luck with the Decat Hi-Wyd glasses for highpower and pistol. The lenses interchange so you can order new when your perscription changes or switch colors when conditions change. I have always gotten my eye exam locally following Decat's instructions and ordered the lenses thru them. For air rifle I shoot my standard "street" glasses though I have considered adding some magnification (1/2 power) to ease eye strain.
Spencer

Re: shooting glasses

Post by Spencer »

captbill wrote:I have had realy good luck with the Decat Hi-Wyd glasses for highpower and pistol. The lenses interchange so you can order new when your perscription changes or switch colors when conditions change. I have always gotten my eye exam locally following Decat's instructions and ordered the lenses thru them. For air rifle I shoot my standard "street" glasses though I have considered adding some magnification (1/2 power) to ease eye strain.
Decot?
http://www.sportglasses.com/