NATIONAL STANDARD THREE-POSITION AIR RIFLE RULES

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MGT

NATIONAL STANDARD THREE-POSITION AIR RIFLE RULES

Post by MGT »

Question about the jacket rules for precision air rifle.

Is a regular NRA coat with straps for closure allowed?

I think I read that the coat had to have either buttons or a zipper.

I've never shot under these rules before, and will be attending a couple of matches this summer. I'd hate to have to buy another coat, as I finally after 5 years got the perfect fitted one.

Anyone know?

GT
pwh

Post by pwh »

Someone may possibly correct me on this but I believe they changed the rules for or a ISSF sanctioned jacket to having buttons and straps are no longer allowed. Buying one myself (with buttons) and the rules are a tad insane even as to there allowed placement but thats just the way it is like it or not. Go out...spend the money and as sure as hell they will change the rules again just to do something and to get people pissed off!

~Phil
bellyshooter

Jacket Rules

Post by bellyshooter »

GT,

You can read the rule yourself by going to the CMP website and then accessing the rulebook. Look on page 14, under rule 4.6.1. It'll tell you that the National Standards Rules are basically the same as any International match rules (USAS and NRA). This really isn't all that new.

Investing in an international style jacket will not only bring you in compliance with the 3P Air National Standards, but will also allow you to compete at USA Shooting's National Championships and the NRA's International Air Rifle Sectional.

I'm wondering, though, how old you are. You mentioned that it took 5 years to finally get a jacket that fit. The National Standard Rules are mainly for kids. The National Championships are limited by rule 3.1.1 (school aged competitors). Most registered matches and EIC points are available for Junior competitiors (20 and under), under rule 3.1.2. There is a provision for adults, rule 3.1.4, but I've only seen one match that actually employed that rule. So, if you are over 20 years-old, there won't be too many matches of this kind available.

While the last poster mentioned that the rules do change, I wouldn't anticipate much to change via jackets. Pants have been the most recent issue to come under fire.

As capricious as some of the rules may seem, I do believe that the intention of those who change the National Standards is to cater to the grassroots program (sporter) and still parallel International (precision) as much as possible. Sometimes that doesn't benefit all shooters. A good example of this is the rule for target height. Unlike the NRA rules, a strict standard is enforced that mandates a narrow range of target heights that are NOT adjustable to the individual shooter. This can be problematic for younger or shorter athletes. For example, when my daughter began shooting competitively last year, she was 4'4" tall. The 55 inches that the standing target had to be set was 3" over her head. That made it over 5" over her line of sight (measured from her eye). Even the 19.5 inches to the center of the prone target was problematic. It put undue strain on her arm in order to get the angle to aim the rifle that high. Result? We did not go to the matches under this rulebook. We fired NRA registered matches (which allow shooters to adjust their target heights). She's 4'6" now. It's still tough, but is much more doable. Result? She'll be shooting the Nationals this year under the National Standards rules.