Shooting jacket size?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Shooting jacket size?

Post by pwh »

Just wondering how tight a ISSF shooting jacket is supposed to be?
I just received one that I ordered in size 38. Either they size things a tad differently or I have really gained weight! Got a tad bigger in the stomach but other than that it would be about my normal size excluding my long arms.
I did not place on the buttons yet as I did not wish to ruin it in case I must send it back for a larger size. It really seems awfully tight! If I did place on the buttons they would really have to be close to the edge and it would still end up being very snug. Some how that just doesn't seem the way it should be. Perhaps the next size up? Seems like another 2 inches might do the trick.

~Phil
Marcus

Jacket sizing

Post by Marcus »

If you don't put the buttons on, how can you tell that it doesn't fit?
What manufacturer is it?
Most quality shooting jackets ARE stiff and therefore tight when you first try them on. As you use them they stretch where they need to stretch to fit you body shape.
If you are admitting that you have gained too much weight around the middle then a standard jacket will likely not fit well in the waist or chest.
pwh

Post by pwh »

Well I'm sure you could easily tell if a pair of pants were too tight before you even tried to zip them up!
No, it's not an expensive jacket and a Champions Choice brand. I did not wish to spend too much money. As for the buttons they are not placed on the jacket but must be installed by the owner by fitting and then punching a hole in the correct place and installing them with a small screw. If I did that and found out the jacket was indeed too tight I would never be able to return it.
Yes, I realize that a new jacket would be somewhat stiff and must be broken in but just by overlapping the jacket where the buttons would be it does seem to be a tad too tight.
I've added about 2" to my waist after retiring but am actually quite tall and thin so I'm not exactly walking about now with a large stomach. I've ordered another jacket at size 40 with the understanding that I can return either within 15 days. Which brings me back to my original question.....should the jacket be tight fitting or have a least a little bit of give? Aside from that I can always move the buttons I suppose. As it is now with the jacket I have if I ever wore a sweater under it I think it would be way to tight. Just looking for some good input from those that are much more experienced in these matters than I.

~Phil
BartP

Measurements

Post by BartP »

The buttons on the jacket must be at or less than 10 cm ( a shade less than 4") from the inside, vertical hemned edge. The button holes must be able to pulled PAST the buttons by 70 cm (approx 2 3/4") or more.

The ISSF site has a complete rundown of the painful details. There is a PDF of all the measurements of everything on an international range, including what you wear.

Hope that helps. Bp
pwh

Post by pwh »

Yeah, I just got through reading them. What a bunch of unneeded details and crap! And I thought the IRS was a load of unnecessary bureaucratic nonsense! Oh well, someone out there always feels like they have to make detailed rules that in most cases don't mean a tinkers damn.

If I placed the buttons even 2" in I would not even be able to breath! Guess that answers my question as to getting a larger size. I don't mind breaking in a jacket but I don't think I'm supposed to suffocate and collapse a lung while doing so!

~Phil
fat-tony

Post by fat-tony »

I wonder if your jacket is a European size? I would wear a 40 - 42 inch normal suit jacket, but my shooting jacket is sized 50 as it was made in continental Europe and they measure things differently there! We are mostly metricated here in Ireland, but clothing is usually measured in inches for the domestic market. Even at that, the 50 jacket will not close around my expanded tummy! Just as well I close only the top button as I shoot prone.

As regards the ISSF rule as regards the tightness of the jacket, it is there to ensure that standing shooters do not gain an unfair advantage in support. I was running equipment control at our national air-rifle championships last week and had to get one individual to move buttons as I couldn't get the jacket buttonholes to stretch to the mark on the gauge.
pwh

Post by pwh »

No, I believe it's in inches but it seems as though the size is exactly 38" and no give whatsoever. I should be getting the size 40 jacket by Tuesday of next week so I'll take some time in getting the feel of which one seems the best choice and send one back. If I were just wearing an undershirt it might be OK but I want to have at least some play in it. As previously said I always have the option of moving the buttons but the current one does not give me too much play in doing so.

~Phil
fat-tony

Post by fat-tony »

I had a look at the Champions Choice store. I must say that their own-brand jackets are exceptionally good value! The Gehmann range, which they also stock, would be measured in European units, so an equivalent jacket to 39"-40" would be marked 50 on the label inside.

Have you called the store to check their fittings? Often, these types of jacket are offered in a slim fitting for youngsters and with a more generous cut for the "older" gentleman, who might have gained a few pounds!
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Phil,

I understand your problem as I was in the same situation some time ago...in my case the sleeves were too short, jacket too loose, overalll lenght too short, etc.

I was very frustrated and decided to start from scratch by using the Gehmann measuring chart, I then ordered their jacket...the end results were as expected: A PERFECT FIT in every way.

It is a good idea to have all of your measurements recorded and then to go from there...convert the European measurements to US sizes.

Gehmann's chart is very good...please visit:

http://www.gehmann.net/downloadable-ite ... REMENT.pdf

Best regards,

Azuaro
Flathead Lake, MT
pwh

Post by pwh »

As it turns out I got the size 40 and the fit is a lot better albeit the sleeves are a tad short but no big concern. Placed on the buttons where I wanted them and all seems well. This is the first jacket I've had or ever shot with for that matter and I can't believe just how much difference it makes! After shooting without one and then placing the jacket and shooting glove on it felt as though I had the damn gun on a rest! After getting off about 40 or so shots I managed to nail five 10's in a row! Probably a fluke and may never happen again but one thing is for sure. I would never have been able to do that without the jacket. By the way....a great chart on measuring and I certainly have it saved. Thanks!

~Phil
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Hi
That's good news about your scores and i am sure the jacket is a huge part of that.
You now need to look after your jacket such as do not fold it and always hang it on a hanger at home rather than stuffed in your kit bag.

Try to wear the same under clothes such as a shooting vest and there have been some helpful posts on this forum about shooting under clothes.
Its all about keeping variables to a minimum.
Peepsight
pwh

Post by pwh »

Yep....I'm treating this jacket as I do my suits. Placed on a wide curved plastic hanger. If something is worth having its worth treating it well.

~Phil
Aviator24

Post by Aviator24 »

When you order, you should measure chest, waist, and hips. I have gotten my jackets a little bit bigger than is recommended because my lengthy arms and I'm a growing teenage guy, so I need room to grow. Don't get it too big, but you can always move the buttons up to regulation tightness etc. Hope this helps!