Scope with sidewheel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Frank

Scope with sidewheel

Post by Frank »

I really feel like an idiot but what is the function of the sidewheel on a scope. I really have no experience with this and have an opportunity to buy a field rifle with one
Thanks
RobertSW

Post by RobertSW »

Only quoting what I have read - not my discipline......

It is for fine tuning of specific ranges 5-45mtrs for targets that may be at eg. 15mtrs - you make your own graduations/markings on the wheel for specific distances.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

If it is like the "SF" function on Nikon scopes, it is for Side Focusing. You can dial in the range that you plan to view, ie. 50 yards, 60 yards, 70, etc. and it is then fine-focused for that range.

Incidentally, I'm selling my Nikon scope with this feature, there's not enough elevation adjustment the way I have it set up on my rifle to go to 100 yards with .22 cal.

Todd Ellis
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Side wheel is used for focusing the scope just as the front objective is used on many other scopes (if they focus at all). Rear eyepiece is used to focus the reticle (not the target!) -- you focus on the reticle once and that is good until your eyes change.

A side wheel can be a bit more accurate for focusing between 45 and 55yds (at least for Field Target). Also, a bit easier to read when seated. Otherwise, it is a matter of taste (and money). Arguably, the best side wheeler is the Leupold Competition 35X -- somehow they expand the range from 45 to 55 yards on the scale to about 1" as opposed to about 1/4" on most scopes.

Best,

Joe