Lakefield 91Tr ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

h wally

Lakefield 91Tr ?

Post by h wally »

Hi all - first post, so I guess I should introduce myself.

I'm a university student and long term large bore shooter (not that there's much time or money for that now).

Anyways, I've ended up with a Lakefield 91Tr and am interested in getting into competitive target shooting with it. From what I understand Lakefield was taken over by Savage at some point, so it may go under the name savage 900Tr. What do people think of these rifles? I recognize it isn't anything fantastic in comparison to a lot of the rifles out there... but I'm on a budget... I'm talking scrounging large bore brass at the range budget...

Anyways, opinions welcomed, and if anyone in Lower mainland or lower vancouver island frequents the forums, give me a shout!
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I feel that you might get more response if you posted on the Long Range & Palma Forums

The majority on this forum would probably lose interest waiting for the shot to hit the target if it was any further away than 100yds!

Rutty
h wally

Post by h wally »

Thanks for the link - I'll sniff around there too.

Around here I don't think there's much support for biathlon, but that's where a lot of my interest is. It would be a great way to cross train for my other sport (rowing) and give me an excuse to do some shooting. I heard that there were some in Vancouver, but by some I understood it to be 5 people or so. Too bad there isn't a summer biathlon; a run with your rifle kind of deal.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Actually there is a summer biathalon. I had the same idea 7-8 years ago and looked into it and found there was such a thing. Do a google search and you will probably find info on it. In the end I wound up setting up a course on my property since we live out in the country. I had a walking trail already. I added swinging targets to the trails at strategic points. I get a clean nail apron put some ammo in. I use a basic remington single shot with peep sights. Works pretty well.
h wally

Post by h wally »

Well so you are right! I like the look of this. Out here we get sweet zippedy doo as far as snow goes unless you get up into the mountains. Might give it a try this summer! How did you find it?

Also, what distances did you run for between shooting? Being forced to live in cities quite limits my active day to day training in anything like this, but I can definitely easily get good workouts in.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I never actually participated in an offical summer biathalon. I did send for some info. The thing that sort of turned me off about how it was implemented was that as far as I could see it was implemented as a running course alongside a rifle range. I think you run some, stop by the range and shoot, run some, stop by and shoot, etc. Being a hunter as well as a target shooter I liked the idea of walking with my rifle. I suppose they implemented the sport this way for practical reasons.