Bad trigger or bad trigger finger?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Bad trigger or bad trigger finger?

Post by tsokasn »

I believe that it's my finger but just want to be sure.I have some really disturbing 8's and 9's due to bad trigger pressing.I have set the trigger to be really light (I think it can't go lighter)but something goes wrong.I see that the riffle's barrel jumbs during shooting.Any suggestions?
Thank you.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Start by assessing your hand position. Too short of a buttplate adjustment can put your hand and wrist at a bad angle, causing you to put pressure on the grip. It can also roll your hand slightly outwards, creating a sideways pull on the trigger.

Lighter is not always better with the trigger. Some people adjust it so lightly, that they have to physically concentrate on their first stage pull to make sure they don't accidentally discharge. You should feel comfortable with the trigger pull, and be sure to adjust the trigger forwards or backwards so that your finger tip pulls straight back on it, not curl around and pull from the side.
Butch McGergan

Post by Butch McGergan »

Air or smallbore?

If the muzzle is jumping upon the shot with an air rifle, it's not the trigger but the triggering that is at fault.

Go single stage if not already. That removes 50% of the triggering process---

1 stage:

Press the trigger enough to overcome the sear and the shot is released.

instead of:

2-stage:

Press the trigger until I feel the stop, (if it's cold ... hope it doesn't "pull through"), then hold it there til I'm on target, then pull some more, etc.

Set up grip so triggering occurs straight back inline with bore.

Most coach firm grip, but I disagree...lightly held grip that fits allows relaxed hand and less deviation upon triggering. Also easier to effectively grip the grip lightly "consistently" rather than tr\ying to strongly grip with the same force each shot...especially when tiring after 50-60th shot.

Also, light grip allows the position to determine the butt pressure, not the grip pull. Important mnost in smallbore with recoil.

Ciao!