What's your choise on home trainers(shooting simulators)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

What's your choise on home trainers(shooting simulators)

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone!
I have heard of Rika,SCATT,Noptel simulators.Are there any other?Which one do you prefer and why?Any prices please?
Thank you.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I am fortunate in having access to RIKA, SCATT and Noptel sytems and can to some extent compare them. The first point is that they all do the same thing in slightly different ways. I would differentiate between them as follows:

Noptel: If you want to shoot at it then this is the best choice. I have used this at 50 mtrs with the prisms and there is no cable between the firing point and target. Indeed, no need for power at all if you are prepared to run it off your laptop battery. But, it is expensive and you have to ask whether the considerable extra cost is justified. Noptel is the "Rolls Royce" solution.

SCATT: This has the largest user base of the synthetic trainers and there is a lot of information out there to help you analyse the results. Down side is that the target sensor is connected by a cable to the PC/laptop at the firing point thus limiting the distance to about 10 mtrs. You can shoot live on it and it is useful for air rifle purposes. Again no need for power if you run it off a laptop. The build standard of some of the older units was questionable, but the new ones are fine.

RIKA: Requires power supply at the firing point and target. Separate control unit may be used without a PC/laptop (but I am not really sure that you would want to). Can be used to about 25 yards and you can shoot live on it. A "clunky" interface and is picky about the type of USB/serial interface it will work with. You can design your own targets to add to the pre-stored library. Once you work out what the analysis tools are telling you, the presentation is quite good. It also provides a continuous cant readout, something I cannot recall seeing on the others (may be wrong about that). Physically it is pretty robust with the exception of the optional trigger pressure sensor that seems to have lowish MTBF.

All of the systems have a range of options allowing you to set your own preferences for display and other features.

There is also the SAM trainer, the selling point of which is the wireless link between the barrel sensor and the processor. I cannot tell you much more about that one, maybe the fact that it is less popular is a reasonable indicator.

Rutty