Pellet lube?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Pellet lube?

Post by pwh »

Has been about 28 years since I last shot an air gun. I pulled out my FWB 300S Universal which is in pristine condition and started shooting again. From looking about different sites I've noticed quite a few new products which are available now. One that got my attention was pellet lube! One brand which I came across just to name one is Logun PL9 pellet lube. I can understand washing pellets as I feel it a good practice but I've never heard of then placing any type of lubricant on them! Is this a common practice and recommended? My only interest is in 10 meter target shooting and the best accuracy I can obtain.

~Phil
WRC

Post by WRC »

From my years of experience on the 10 meter air rifle firing line, I've never run into any target shooter that bothers lubing the pellets. Most of us want to keep things quite simple (we've got enough stuff to keep track of!), so we use the pellets straight out of the tin, or styrofoam, as the case may be. Field target shooters, and other airgun hobbyists may be lubing their pellets, but their concerns are different than 10M shooters.
Coach Paula, Wheaton Rifle Club (which just so happens to be in the western suburbs of Chicagoland, if you are looking for a place to shoot! :^)
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

Field Target PCP shooters often lube their pellets, but they shoot at 825 to 1000fps (12 to 20fpe) where leading is more likely to happen than at typical 10M pellet speeds. The usual regimine for washing (only of Crosman Premier pellets which are particularly dirty) is to use detergent or paint thinner (which can be reused), dry, and lube with a few drops of Krytech or 1Lube (most common lubes in the US) per 500 pellets. Lubing is done by tumbling pellets for a minute or so.

All pellets come from the factory with some lube. If you remove that lube, you must apply something to prevent lead oxidation.

As the previous poster noted, there is probably no advantage for 10M shooting in doing this. There might be a very small advantage in weighing your pellets (field target shooters sometimes do) into groups of .1grains (6.9 to 7.0, for instance) and shooting only from that group until you run out of pellets.

Best,

Joe
Jason Fittapali

Post by Jason Fittapali »

I add a few drops of TSI-301 to each tin of R10.

An airgun benchrest guru told me that trick.

Jason