Beeman Pell-Size!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Beeman Pell-Size!

Post by pwh »

I did a search on this and found nothing or, I might have very well missed it. Back in ’80 I purchased a FWB 300S Universal and have kept it in pristine condition. I brought it out a few weeks ago and again got very interested in shooting 10 meter targets. I purchased this gun directly from Beeman and bought several extras with it. One being what was then called a Beemen Pell Size. I imagine that it is for 4.50mm sizing but I’m not all that sure. I’m sure some here may possibly be aware of what I’m referring to. I also purchased a seating tool that has a small ball on the end for well….seating the pellet! A few questions here if I may. Do any of you seat your pellets with such a tool or do you feel it a waste of time and or just a gimmick? I have been using H&N Match pellets and some Vogel Match Diablo. When I use the resize tool I do indeed notice some resistance as if they are indeed being reduced or, resized to a smaller size when they are pushed though the sizing chamber.

This is the odd thing I can’t seem to figure out. When I use a .177 pellet whether it is an H&N Match or Vogel Match straight out of the box and place them in the chamber of my gun with the seating tool there is no resistance whatsoever. However, when I resize them and as said, it seems as though from the resistance that they are indeed being made (or what I would assume) smaller in size. When I use the resized pellets there is indeed a very slight resistance in seating the pellet. Something hard to explain but it does seem as though the skirt of the pellet seems as though it is larger! How can this be when it seems as though the pellet has been resized and from what I can only assume from the friction of placing it through the resize tool that it would be smaller!?

Also, does anyone have any of the old catalogs from Beeman when they sold directly to the consumer? I had many of them lying about but I got rid of them some years ago. I’m talking about any catalogs from 1978 through 1982. I would very much like to have one and will be more than willing to buy one within reason of course. I can be reached at pwherda@gmail.com.

~Phil
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

I think that the pell size was a marketing ploy. Field target shooters when through a period were everyone was sizing their pellets. Testing revealed that getting a good pellet like the crosman premier from a lot number series that performed best in your gun was much more important. It was also widely reported that the pellet seating tool was a gimick as well. Talk to a field target shooter.
DoctorD
pwh

Post by pwh »

Yes, like I mentioned in my question that it may have possibly been just a "gimmick". For all I know such a tool might not even be made any longer or at least not by Beeman from what I can see. I can well understand one finding a good lot number for a given gun and weighing pellets but the sizing tool seemed a bit odd and I just wanted to get some clarification on this. It has been 28 years since I last used an air rifle and I was a bit hazy on the subject and intricacies of it all.

As for acquiring a Beeman catalog I probably should have placed that question on the Buy Sell & Trade forum. Thanks for answering my question.

~Phil
rogerv

pell sizer

Post by rogerv »

I picked up one of the Nygord pellet sizers somewhere and found it useful for sorting pellets according to the degree of difficulty in sizing; usually two batches.

I also used it after testing and found it produced tighter groups with RWS Hobby pellets which I shot in my FWB 65 & 90 and made Master.

I sold it after talking with Don Nygord who told me he only made them to make money from guys who thought they worked. He said they did nothing to improve group sizes with match pellets.