Scholarships/Sponsors??

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TenX

Scholarships/Sponsors??

Post by TenX »

Does anyone know of scholarships and or Sponsors for competitive shooting?
Hey Guys,
I am 16 years old and i like to shoot the free pistol and air pistol competitvley. I have competed in the NRA Team Nationlas and i will be going to the National Junior Olympics for a second time. I also have competed in many other matches small and big. All the traveling that has to be done to get into the National level is very expensive. I tried looking up scholorships for shooting but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any and or Sponsors?

Thanks for the help!!!
-TenX
Smith2013

which are you looking for?

Post by Smith2013 »

Hey, I am 17 and have been competitively shooting for the past few years, and crimson trace lasergrips sponsors me. I got the sponsorship through a major letter writing campaign where i wrote to many, many companies and asked for help. If you are looking for scholarships, like for college, look to the NRA's website and they have a list of schools that are looking to give shooting scholarships for their teams, as well as ones who just have teams and no scholarshpis. This is what I am looking into as I will most likely be going off in two years.

hope it helps

Post by Guest »

as far as scholarships go, only division one schools are allowed to give scholarships for sports
Chris

Post by Chris »

I am not sure if this is true any more but Rifle was an NCAA sport and you could get scholarships at some schools who had teams. As far as I know pistol is still a club sport and do not think there is any $'s out there for it.

Do not give up and keep looking you might be surprised what you find out? there have been people who have shot on NCAA rifle teams who made the US Pistol team.
Quest1

Money

Post by Quest1 »

Chris wrote:I am not sure if this is true any more but Rifle was an NCAA sport and you could get scholarships at some schools who had teams. As far as I know pistol is still a club sport and do not think there is any $'s out there for it.

Do not give up and keep looking you might be surprised what you find out? there have been people who have shot on NCAA rifle teams who made the US Pistol team.
Rifle is still an NCAA Sport and there is a few schools that give out scholarships and for those that do it isn't much with the exception of Ohio State. MIT has a program were they will cut your fees instead of handing out cash, but I am not sure it applies to their pistol program. University of Utah might hand out enough to cover your books.

However, I would be very careful about getting any money before you get college scholarship. It could affect your eligibility even though pistol is not a NCAA sport they still have to follow the same rules. You can check with the NCAA about what money you can collect for travel. That is why we are very careful about even giving out the coupons that the NRA offers for awards during our sectionals. They maybe legal, but we are playing it safe because the small amount from those coupons aren't worth risking the junior shooters eligibility.
Quest1

Re: Money

Post by Quest1 »

Quest1 wrote:
Chris wrote:I am not sure if this is true any more but Rifle was an NCAA sport and you could get scholarships at some schools who had teams. As far as I know pistol is still a club sport and do not think there is any $'s out there for it.

Rifle is still an NCAA Sport. A few schools give out pistol scholarships and for those that do it isn't much with the exception of Ohio State. MIT has a program were they will cut your fees instead of handing out cash, but I am not sure it applies to their pistol program. University of Utah might hand out enough to cover your books.

However, I would be very careful about getting any money before you get college scholarship. It could affect your eligibility even though pistol is not a NCAA sport they still have to follow the same rules. You can check with the NCAA about what money you can collect for travel. That is why we are very careful about even giving out the coupons that the NRA offers for awards during our sectionals. They maybe legal, but we are playing it safe because the small amount from those coupons aren't worth risking the junior shooters eligibility.
pmessina

NCAA Scholarships

Post by pmessina »

Just to make a minor correction to a previous post, NCAA Division II athletic programs award scholarships as well. NCAA Division II schools however have a fewer number of scholarships that may be awarded for athletic programs compared to the NCAA Divison I schools.