Back again!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pwh

Back again!

Post by pwh »

Hi,
This is my first post and visit here. I purchased a FWB 300S Universal back in the late 70’s and it’s in immaculate condition as it has always been kept in a padded case and was never used that much and never taken outside. I used to do quite a lot of shooting with center fire handguns ranging from .22 to .44 magnum, 9mm, .44/.40 etc. I also did all of my own hand loading to cut down on expenses and also for accuracy. Just a bit of background as it were. I gave up shooting many years ago as it was just too much of a hassle and to be quite honest, I simply got bored with it.

The other day I took out the FWB with the thoughts of selling it. I placed it aside and wiped it down albeit it certainly did not need it but I have always been very fastidious with any gun or, for that matter, any well precision made piece of machinery. Being retired and with much time on my hands I looked about for the pellets and targets that I knew I still had. I set everything up and bench rested it on a small sand bag placed on an old photo tripod. Seems as though I had a ball and then started shooting groups of five pellets at a time at 5 bull 10 meter rifle targets just to get used to it again and sight it in. I’m still amazed at this gun’s accuracy! I have just enough room in my basement for 10 meter shooting. Now I’m having some doubts about selling and perhaps shooting again just for the hell and fun of it all. I believe the gun weighs in at about 10 lbs. or so which is great until I decided to free hand it for a few shots! I woke up the next morning with a terrible pain in my lower left back! I’m 61 and I had forgotten so! Avoid getting older at all costs! Obviously I need to exercise more but therein lays a question that I have. Would perhaps one of those back braces that I see so often when people are loading trucks, etc. help in this matter? I was also thinking of purchasing a padded gun glove for the left hand (yes, I’m right handed). It seems as though this would help for that sure fitted feeling of gripping and holding the gun in a more secure manner. Would you recommend purchasing one? I also might possibly be interested in purchasing a palm grip for the FWB 300S but I have no idea where to buy one. Any input on this?

I can’t for the life of me remember what the sights are that I purchased for this gun but they are made by FWB and have adjustable aperture, colored filters and polarizing settings. They are indeed fantastic. I still have some H&N Match pellets to keep me going but this also brings me to another question. I noticed some pellets made by Vogel but it seems as though there price is much greater than the H&R’s. Is there really that much of a difference? Sorry, I have a feeling as though this could cause an endless discussion! I’m not new to forum sites as I have been a moderator on one for many years and now have one of my own so I realize what this kind of question can bring forth! One more question if I may. Is there any way I can get a hold of the manual for this gun as I lost mine many years ago. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions but I’ll leave it at that for now.

~Phil
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Yes, one of the braces would help. In fact, some people are using belts/back braces in lieu of shooting trousers.

Realistically, any quality pellet probably won't have a discernable difference for what you're looking to do with it.

I'm sure the manual is still available, as it's still a popular airgun for various clubs. The site sponsor Pilk Guns can probably point you in the right direction.

Keep the airgun, and keep on having fun!