Thumb Grip on Stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F.

Thumb Grip on Stock

Post by Jordan F. »

I understand that there are several different meathods for shooters as to where they put their thumb on the stock. I have tried the more common technique of putting my thumb around the grip (like 90%+ of shooters do) or as of late.

I have tried putting my thumb to the right of the grip and on top of it sort of. Hard to explain (maybe someone could post a picture?) Is there one technique that is preferred over the other? Why? I was told to put my thumb on top by my shooting coaches and have been shooting like that for a while now but tried going back to my old meathod and found I was holding slightly more steady. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jordan
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

As you stated, most shooters put their thumb over the stock.

Be careful though, that doing so does not casue you to have to raise the shooitng elbow in the standing position, as that adds enseness in the shoulder. You may have to shorten the buttstock slightly to maintain the same relaxed shoulder position with the over the top grip.
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

Putting your thumb aound the grip tends to make the rifle roll to the left slightly, which will throw you off. Put your thumb on the back of the bolt, or at least in the groove. This will keep the rifle from rolling either direction.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

A lot depends on the size of your hands.

I have wide hands with short fingers. Putting my thumb up in the groove on the stock created tension in my right hand, making it less comfortable. At the same time, I have broad shoulders, so the angle in which my trigger hand comes in can make it uncomfortable if I really squeeze the grip.

The grip I use is a loose grip with my thumb through the thumbhole. This was most comfortable for me, and the scores reflected it.