standing movment problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CordB

standing movment problem

Post by CordB »

The Problem is with my air rifle off-hand position (I'm shooting a Feinwerkbau P70 alu). I'm getting a small but fast circular movement, no up and down or left and right.I can shoot pretty much any time in my comfort zone and shoot 9's all day. I just can't seem to slow the movement down enough to consistently shoot 10's . I have added some weight to the barrel and fore-end but i don't know what else to try to slow the movement down.

Thanks for any help, Cord
2650 Plus

Hold problem

Post by 2650 Plus »

Not sure if this will help but first try to relax into stillness. If the results dont improve, work on the fit of your jacket as next posibility. Have a coach study your off hand positition and try to help you correct whatever is causing the problem. Last, Practice in front of a mirror. And practice practice practice. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

You might be forcing the gun into postion. Try adjusting your hand postion on the gun.
JKM

Post by JKM »

A person that can shoot nines all day is perhaps not fully finding the NPA. Patiently finding the Natural Point of Aim on the dot is the quickest route from the nine ring to a ten.

The "fast" part of your trace is puzzling. Obviously a muscle cycle...but from where? Fast would indicate shoulders/arms, but perhaps mid back. Do you have a backache after a session?

If you weight train, avoid upper body weight training for 7-10 days before matches.
CordB

Post by CordB »

NPA was the first thing i thought of. the shots have no pattern, they can be left then right and then ill shot one straight low or whatever but no consistent pattern.If it was NPA the shots would generally be to one side or the other not as random as they areI have no backache or any soreness at all afterwards, and I don't weight train on a regular basis.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Cord,
Just an experiment...widen your stance by a boot width. You'll have to change your supporting hand position under the rifle. Shoot 2 or 3 cards this way.

What did this do to the pattern of your muzzle movement? Is the POI the same pattern as before this stance change?

Let me know.

Joe
CordB

Post by CordB »

Joe, I tried moving my stance wider like you recommended. its slowed my muzzle movement down alot. The circular movement is still there, but its a lot slower. My Point of aim is practically the same which is good. My last target was a 97 so its definitely an improvement.

Thank you so much for all the help..
JeroenH

Close your eyes

Post by JeroenH »

Like some of the other repliers, I'm wondering if it's about your NPA.

You might try this exersise:
Build your position as you normally do, including all the checks and minor corrections, up to the point where you start the final alignment & shot release part.
Here, close your eyes. Count 1-2-3-4-5, release the shot.
Open your eyes (while maintaining your position) and check where you are aiming.
Do you get any consistent results when you repeat this several times? E.g. always ending right off target?