Wood or Aluminum stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

laxratnd

Wood or Aluminum stock

Post by laxratnd »

Hey guys just wondering what you think is a better stock, wood or aluminum?

thanks

lax
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I chose Aluminum. In my opinion they were superior because they have more adjustments in the cheekpiece, butplate, grip and forend. The ability to adjust it completely to me was what convinced me to go for the aluminum. Worth the extra $400 or $500? Well that is up to you to decide. I have no regrets going with the aluminum. If you are still relatively young you should be able to adapt easier to the aluminum stock then if you have been shooting for a long time and are really used to the wood or laminate type stocks. One con that I can think of, from what I hear anyway is that aluminum changes POI a bit more than wood (in temperatre and humidy becuase the aluminum changes more in these conditions that laminate - but i am not 100% sure on that).
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

Wood stocks are sensitive to humidy and Aluminum is sensitive to temp. Neither one is better then the other. It comes down to what feels good.
Try the seach function to find out more, I have seen many posts on this subject.

-Brian
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

Wood stocks arent as adjustable for the most part, and like the other guys said wood will change with humidity, which can throw you off. The added adjustability to tailor the gun just for you makes the aluminum well worth the extra dough.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

A pillar bedded wood stock is almost impervious to humidity changes. The aluminum stocks are as well, but at the same time, there are also reported issues with the rubber bedding material of the aluminum stocks. Heck, when I was at Ohio State I shot a glass bedded aluminum stock.

It really is all personal preference.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I have a wood stock now but might want to change it over. I have shot aluminum stocks before but for not long. Ill keep searching around. thanks

lax
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Really there is little difference in adjustablility between alu stocks and the previous generation 1913/2013 stocks. The wood stocks don't have the adj. grip. The last generation of wood stocks had cheek piece adjustments that were second to none. I'd say whatever you like. The ans alu stock has too long a pull length to suit my taste others like it. Also, all the stuff about expansion/contraction will drive you crazy. Buy a stock that fits you well, wood, alu whatever and train with it and forget all the stuff that will mostly have you chasing your tail.