Anschutz 2013 project

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Anschutz 2013 project

Post by Guest »

I’m a ISSF prone shooter and the club where I shoot is a long way from my home. I’ve had this project for many months now and I’d like to know what you think of it.

As I live in a rural area, it would be easy and safe for me to practice in my backyard on a reduced 50 feet ISSF target. As I would shoot from my garage next to my house, noise would be a concern. Anschutz used to offer a 4mm Zimmerstutzen 54 action for indoor shooting so it gave me this idea: what I would like to do is have my gunsmith chamber a barrel for my Anschutz 2013 with a….22 Short Match reamer. Availability of this ammo is not a problem for me. Do you have any idea of the accuracy I could get at 50 feet with that setup ?

I know I could practice with an air rifle of by dry firing but the idea of shooting live ammo, even if the recoil is not the same as the .22LR is appealing to me.

Any comments on that project will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Why not just shoot the .22 LR? I think you're overthinking the noise aspects of a .22 cartridge.
Alex1262

Post by Alex1262 »

Put a sight extension tube on your gun, and use subsonic ammo and you dont need to worry about the noise at all.
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

i agree with alex... even better, buy a 500mm barrel with the long extension tube (if you have the money that is...) the things are silent.

i don't know what the accuracy might be for your setup, but i imagine it would be pretty good at 50 ft.

i shoot air rifle in my backyard and there's enough room for a 50 ft smallbore range... alas, houses 100 feet away in every direction prevent it from taking place.
Smith2013

do it

Post by Smith2013 »

A .22 isn't that loud, and as long as your neighbors are fine with it, its OK. I live out in the country with plenty of room, but my neighbors aren't too far away on the sides my house and one of them is a cop, it kinda stinks, but if you can, go for it!

Post by Guest »

Has anyone ever tried the SK Z Reduced Charge in a match rifle ? Is it accurate at 50 ft ?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I would give some of the long CBs a try. I would not ream the rifle. Another solution would be dry firing, or a good air rifle. Good luck.

http://www.22ammo.com/bbcb_caps.html
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have tried the various reduced power loads in my rifles and they are horribly inaccurate. You would, as i did, get tired of messing with them in about 10 shots. I suggest you think out your range a little. Match ammo is subsonic and very quiet. I have heard of people taking some old tires and stacking them end to end and suspending them so that the muzzle is in the stack as the gun is shot. This makes a big suppressor. Maybe bolt some tires together and lay the stack on the ground in front of you. The other option is to buy a Noptel or similar. I don't know about the scatt but I did have a Rika and found it to be very difficult to use in prone. The noptel works great in prone. Never used a scatt.