Youth air travel and best gun case

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EDR

Youth air travel and best gun case

Post by EDR »

I heard from a coach that it is legal for youth to travel on a plane with a firearm as long as an adult checks it in. Has anyone tried this before? Also after hearing the horror stories from the airlines and baggage handling what case will hold up the best? I'm only gonna be shooting smallbore. Thanks.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

I have a star light case. I like it but the storm cases seem to be better value of the money of what i herd. I herd they are very good. I know a lot of people like them. In my opinion i never go cheap on a case because of the valuable contents that are inside it. Take a look at the storm cases, well work the money. I actually might be buying one soon also.

stephen
randy1952

cases

Post by randy1952 »

For my two cents and experience we have tried a number of different cases. The SKB, ICC, Storm, Pelican, and Strong gun cases. The one's I like are the ones that have a strong exterior and the interior should have foam to immobilize the rifle or pistol or at least a strap to prevent movement.

The cheaper aluminum rifle cases like the one's being sold by Winchester for about $100 aren't strong enough. It really dosen't make sense to spend maybe a couple of thousand of dollars are more on a gun and then put it in a cheap case. I have seen many guys come in the gun shop spend up to $3000 on a gun and then put it in a $40 plastic gun case.

We have had gun cases being used as stair steps by baggage handlers and on one other occasion the baggage was accidentally dumped onto the tarmac and then was hit by an oncoming pickup. The case was bent but the contents survived intact. There maybe other gun cases but the only cases that I know of that can begin to protect the guns from this kind of abuse are the SKB, ICC, Pelican, and Strong cases and yes I know there are no absolutes. What you are hoping for at the very least is that even if the case may get broken the contents will survive.

We like Pelican, but they are so heavy and considering the new airline restrictions on baggage weight for now we are using the SKB, ICC, or Strong Cases. I know that the odds of this kind of potential damage maybe small for most people, but Murphy's Law always seems to apply to us on a regular basis.
Last edited by randy1952 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I'm not sure if it's still true, but when I was travelling to the JORCs on a yearly basis, I checked everything myself with no problem before I turned 18. They will take a look at everything, probably ask a few questions, and then make you sign a firearms tag and place it inside.

Any one of the cases Randy mentioned are fine, but if the airline wants to find a way to break it, they will. I think that mine was literally thrown out of an airplane. Read about that here: viewtopic.php?t=17451&highlight=

Just remember to separate if not untorque your action before you fly to prevent the stock from cracking. I almost always wrap duct tape around the entire case where the two locks are as well. Keeps it from getting hung up on the luggage carousel, and it also prevents damage to the locks and latches.
EDR

Post by EDR »

I was just wondering what airlines did you travel, and how recent was it that you traveled under 18? Thanks
1813benny

airlines and travel under 18...

Post by 1813benny »

I flew probably 10 or 15 times with all of my shooting gear while I was still under 18. To the airlines, it was not a big deal, as one of my parents was always there when I was checking in at the counter w/ the rifle case.

I flew mostly United at the time....

As for cases, I have an ICC all aluminum case and I would highly recommend one to anyone if they plan to fly or not. This case has taken a beating and my rifles (smallbore and air) arrived each time w/o a scratch. It is alot lighter than a Pellican and every bit as strong. One of the best investments in shooting related gear I ever made.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

EDR wrote:I was just wondering what airlines did you travel, and how recent was it that you traveled under 18? Thanks
I travelled on American, Continental, and United. Most recently was in 2002 or 2003. I checked myself in, no parents present.