shooting pants

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

coolcruiser

shooting pants

Post by coolcruiser »

For 20 years I have been shooting smallbore and air rifle without the aid of shooting pants...it seemed that they were just one more thing to carry and the benefits were intangible to me. I have been reading in WOTR that shooting pants can help with lumbar back support. Has anybody realised that kind of benefit? My back isn't what used to be so this kind of support would be welcome. I would appreciate your comments before buying one more thing to shoot with. TIA

Post by Guest »

definitely right, i got a pair of freeland pants about a month ago, i had been having back pain shooting a 60 shot match and since i've been wearing the pants i haven't had any real bad pain, before i couldn't even stand up for more than 5 minutes at a time after the match. good luck!
coolcruiser

Freeland vs AHG pants

Post by coolcruiser »

Dear guest,
I noticed that you mentioned the Freeland pants as your recent choice to purchase. Champion Shooters Supply has Freeland for sale at about $130 and Midway has AHG for $135. I am leaning toward the AHG simply as a better known product but the Freeland look pretty good too. What made you decide Freeland?
TIA
peepsight

Shooting pants

Post by peepsight »

Hi coolcruiser

The standing rifle position can cause problems to the lower back and occasionally cause injury. Its wise to wear clothing that stabilises the lower back, pelvic area and hips. Shooting pants in combination with a stiff canvas jacket should be worn.

If you prefer not to wear pants, then as an alternative i suggest you wear a body/lumbar support belt which most good sports shops should stock. I use one instead of pants, and it has velcro fastenings, and it has stabilisation stays in the section that comes in contact with your back.
These are not allowed under ISSF rules but are often allowed under national rules for health and safety reasons.

There have been odd cases of shooters having sciatica [trapped nerve in the lumbar region] caused by the back bend and twist position for standing. It does pay to free up a little by doing some stretching before you shoot.

Peepsight

Post by Guest »

cruiser-
i had purchased items from champion before and their service was good, and i also have a freeland coat which is really stiff and i love it (plus my jacket and coat match, if that matters), as for the AHG i don't know anybody that have those pants so i didn't know the quality, although i'm sure its good, but i had tried the freelands from a friend before i got a pair myself, if you know anyone who has either pair i'd try them out or ask them what they think, in the end its gotta be up to you though and your preference. i hope this helped!