rim thickness

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Kevin6Q

rim thickness

Post by Kevin6Q »

I've heard the rim thickness can have an effect on the consistency of rimfire ammo. Why is this? I assume each rifle "likes" a different rim thickness. Is there a gauge or way to measure it? Does better ammo have the rims matched? Thanks, Kevin
GOVTMODEL

Re: rim thickness

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Kevin6Q wrote:I've heard the rim thickness can have an effect on the consistency of rimfire ammo. Why is this? I assume each rifle "likes" a different rim thickness. Is there a gauge or way to measure it? Does better ammo have the rims matched? Thanks, Kevin
Consistent rim thickness can be a factor in rifles, provided your headspace is matched to the rims of your ammunition. IIRC, Eley rims are very consistent at 0.039" and that's why the preferred headspace for smallbore rifle shooting Eley ammunition is 0.041."

Th answer to your second question is yes, rim thickness gauges are availabe, as are headspace gauges. Consistent rim thickness is just one of the reasons good ammunition shoots better than the cheap stuff.