Shooting scholarships

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Nick_Burman

Shooting scholarships

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all,

I have a question concerning shooting scholarships... I understand several universities in the US offer them for graduation, but are there any scholarships of this kind available for postgraduate studies?

Cheers,
Nicholas
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Probably not. According to NCAA rules, you have four years of eligibility in five calendar years, with an age limit, I believe.

Go to www.ncaa.org and then look for "Eligibility and Recruiting" under "Academics and Athletes".
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Nick,
Have you shot for the University team where you did your undergraduate work?

Joe
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Heavens, no, there aren't such things as University shooting teams here, unfortunately... :-S there is a attempt at setting one up now, but nobody knows what will come out of it. Myself I've only been going for five months or so...

Cheers NB
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Heavens, no, there aren't such things as University shooting teams here, unfortunately... :-S there is a attempt at setting one up now, but nobody knows what will come out of it. Myself I've only been going for five months or so...

Cheers NB
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

You should have 4 years of eligibility as a collegiate shooter, when you get to graduate school.

Joe
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

To be sure you should contact the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association, www.ncaa.org) or a college coach at a school that has a varsity (NCAA) rifle team ( www.nrahq.org/compete/college_lookup.asp and/or
www2.ncaa.org/portal/sports/winter/rifle/index.html). There may be different rules for students that finished their undergraduate degrees at non-US universities.
2chattycoach

Re: Shooting scholarships

Post by 2chattycoach »

You have 5 years to complete your NCAA elgilibility from the start of the quarter you take 12 credit hours or more.
Nick_Burman wrote:Hi all,

I have a question concerning shooting scholarships... I understand several universities in the US offer them for graduation, but are there any scholarships of this kind available for postgraduate studies?

Cheers,
Nicholas