Benefits of shooting trousers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Benefits of shooting trousers

Post by tsokasn »

Hi,i am looking to buy a shooting trouser.How exactly does it help a shooter's position?What must a shooting trouser offer?
peepsight

Shooting trousers/pants

Post by peepsight »

They support the lower back, hips, thighs and knees. Its just one more piece of body armour to wear that helps the body in conjunction with a jacket to be more 'rigid' and less flexible, thus in theory the rifle can be held in a more stable position. Well thats what Kurt Thune said!

Peepsight
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank's Peepsight,you are the best!But from what i have already read from your posts,you are not using a shooting trouser.What's your secret?
peepsight

Shooting trousers

Post by peepsight »

Hi Tsokasn

I know some shooters won't aggree with me, but i have found shooting trousers of limited help in the standing position.
I said in one post that in the prone position they have no advantage, in the kneeling position they are a small help and in the standing position again just a small help.
I stopped using trousers and my scores are still improving with air rifle.

Its very important that a shooter wears the same clothing from shoot to to shoot, that includes under wear as well. The reason is to keep the criteria the same which elliminates variables. So by at least wearing jacket and trousers for every shoot you are maintaining a set standard with no variables.
Another example of this is wearing a different type of T Shirt each time you shoot, You have thus moved away from a set standard of clothing and variables are now a factor in your performance. Once you have a set standard of clothing for each shoot, the body begins to recognise this.
Move away from this with a different under shirt and the body/mind gets confused.
Peepsight
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hi Peepsight.Do you think that by wearing shooting trousers,the pain in my waist will be eliminated?I also consider about the waist belt you are using,especially if ISSF rules permit it.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

tsokasn, I had more or less the same problem as you, except that it was in the lower back. I've been shooting without any shooting clothes whatsoever (except for matches, when I borrowed a rather tatty jacket from the club) for the last 5 months or so, my jacket + trousers arrived only 3 weeks ago. I can say that my back pain disappeared after I started using my shooting uniform. There might be a chance that your waist pains have originated from shooting without trousers.

As for performance, I guess that it all depends on each of us... Peepsight seems to go well without his trousers, but based on my little experience I can't even dream of doing that...

Cheers,
Nicholas
peepsight

Shooting trousers

Post by peepsight »

Hi Tsokasn

Nick is right in what he says. I got on better without trousers but to protect by lower back [lumbar region] i use a thin weight lifters body belt. These are not allowed under ISSF rules but they are under my national rules. Dont try and wear a body belt and trousers. Its one or the other.

Its not guaranteed that your pain will dissapear if you wear pants and jacket, but they should help to stop any more damage to your back, thus i suggest you use both and get on with your shooting.

Peepsight
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

And that's exactly what i am going to do.Thank's folks.