Feinwerkbau 700 Basic

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Fisher

Feinwerkbau 700 Basic

Post by Fisher »

Is the Feinwerkbau 700 Basic a good quality rifle for a new highschool shooter or will this rifle limit him if he really gets competitive? Can anyone direct me to a complete review of this rifle?
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

It is a good rifle. The 700 is a good rifle its just the stock is a little on the low end side. Dosnt have an adjustable cheek piece which is not a fan of me. For a new shooter it is a good buy. Later on iam sure you can just change the stock out if you want. I have the Model 700p aluminum stock and i love the rifle. And i bet everything that has one or shot one will agree with me.
B.T.Carstensen

Re: hey

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

laxratnd wrote:It is a good rifle. The 700 is a good rifle its just the stock is a little on the low end side. Dosnt have an adjustable cheek piece which is not a fan of me. For a new shooter it is a good buy. Later on iam sure you can just change the stock out if you want. I have the Model 700p aluminum stock and i love the rifle. And i bet everything that has one or shot one will agree with me.
Who told you that it does not have an adjustable cheek piece? I know for a fact that it does. The P700 Basic is a club gun it does not mak sense that it doesn't have a adjustable cheek piece. take a look at this,

http://www.champchoice.com/pages/invtpics/32160.jpg

Also not everone will agree with you about the P700 alu, some people prefer ANS over FWB other don't like the fit of the P700.
I have a P700 alu and I like it but I don't like it right out of the box, I have changed a far amount about the rifle and I would like to change it some more but I don't have the cash to do it.

To answer Fiser's question the P700 Basic is a good rifle but it will be hard for him to get the most out of it. A FWB will shoot a 600 right out of the box but I don't think that stock can.
At some point he my need a new rifle, I would recommend getting the P700 wood stock
that will offer a better fit, for not too much more money.

-Brian
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Sounds like my expectations may be a little on the high side with regard to a lower priced rifle. I have always assumed that the marksman was 95% of the equation and the rifle the remaining 5%. Are there any comparative reviews out there focusing on this level of rifle? I have seen some reviews for high end air rifles but none on entry level ones.

Thanks for responding to these questions. I am sure that they are asked on a regular basis but I am just getting started and have found little info to evaluate. One thing is certain. You are all passionate about this sport.

Cheers,
jipe

Post by jipe »

Well, this rifle is and isn't an high end rifle: the barreled action part is the one of the P700 = high end. The stock is low end because it has very little adjustment: no adjustment in length, little adjustment on the cheek piece. This seems to me not enough unless by chance it is OK for you.

The sights are also probably low end (couldn't find information about it).

Now, you will be able later to improve it by buying another stock and sights but it will cost you more than buying immediately a better stock.

So, I would also recommend the P700 Universal. This is really an high end rifle. It has a wood stock but this doesn't necessarily mean low end, some people do not like the aluminium stocks and shoot very very well with a wood stock.

Another good option at an affordable price is the Anschutz 8002 junior that is cheaper than the P700 universal and has all needed adjustment. It is called junior but its stock is the same size as a normal one (the 8002 club for instance) what is not the case with the P700 junior that has a shorter stock.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Fisher: It is true that the basic stock will get you to 90% or so. That is a 540 of 600. Getting beyond though requires a very well fit rifle. This is where the basic stock will hold you back. I believe the universal stock is basically the same as the P70 stock. I has side to side and cant adjustments on both cheekpiece and butt plate. These are usefull in getting a good fit.

Post by Guest »

It all depends on how it fits, I've seen people shot the wood/laminated stocks and shoot right up there with anybody else. But a problem with the stock is it's ambidextrious which is nice since all shooters could use it but it's also not made fully for a right or left hand person. For around 2 hundred maor you can get a walther lamenated stock which might give you a little more adjustment.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

I would like to express my thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. Since there are no stores in our state that handle this type of rifle and there are very few around for us to try out I have decided to drag out the crowbar and plan on purchasing either an Anschutz 8002 aluminum stock or a Feinwerkbau 700 aluminum.

Why have I come to this decision? I would like to make a single purchase and not have to replace stocks etc.. just to keep up with my son's growing skill, the adjustability of the two stocks makes it quite likely that he can find a comfortable configuration for shooting, and he is willing to pitch in a fair amount on the purchase to show his commitment.

Now that the easy part is over I have a new dilemma. Value. The Anschutz 8002 sells for ~$1,700 without sights. The Feinwerkbau 700 sells for ~$2,400 with sights. Knowing nothing about this, aside from the fact that sights can cost anywhere from $250 to $?????, which is the better value assuming the rifles are comparable in quality? (No need to go back over that ground.)
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

The Civilian Marksmanship Program has ANSCHÜTZ MODEL 8002 CA CLUB AIR RIFLE - NLU # ANS 8002 - Price $1495.00 (http://www.odcmp.com/Rifles/JrRifles.htm)

It is relatively easy to qualify to buy from the CMP and the price is certainly "right."

Joe
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

If you want to get the FWB the buy it from this guy,

http://www.brenzovich.com/

He is the FWB dealer (the only dealer) in the US so you will get it for about 2300 or he does give a specile price for clubs and that it is around 2200.

The 8002 is just as good of rifle as the FWB and for the same money you can get better sights, the ANS sights are of much better quality then the FWB. The FWB sights have alot of plastic of them, where as the ANS have alot more metal. I have a FWB and I want to change my sights to ANS

I don't want to knock the FWB it's a great rifle I shoot a 98+% on my targets but it has taken a year for me to get there, the thing I like about the 8002 is for it felt great right out of the box where the 700 felt a little awkward I have it to where is feels right now, but I had to change the weight, I changed the buttplate out, and I had to add riserblocks. By the way I got the 700 before I held a 8002.

What you really need to do is go to a match and look at the rifles and if possible try a few out to see how the gun feels. Most people will not mind letting you hold ther gun for a minute, at least most of the people I know would not mind.

You can't go wrong with either gun.

-Brian
jipe

Post by jipe »

Fisher wrote:Now that the easy part is over I have a new dilemma. Value. The Anschutz 8002 sells for ~$1,700 without sights. The Feinwerkbau 700 sells for ~$2,400 with sights. Knowing nothing about this, aside from the fact that sights can cost anywhere from $250 to $?????, which is the better value assuming the rifles are comparable in quality? (No need to go back over that ground.)
Anschutz 6834 sights are fine and not expensive quite enough for 10m. If you want a better one, the Anschutz 7020 is an high end one (both are complete sight sets).

I do not know the US price but in Germany, 6834 is about 220Euro. The 7020 330Euro and 430USD from our host.

Besides FWB P700 and Anschutz 8002, you could also consider Steyr LG110.

I have one remark about quality of Anschutz and Steyr vs FWB: FWB is as reliable but I find the finish of FWB more fragile (use of painting instead of anodisation) what makes that wear/scratches appear faster on FWB. This is not a problem for shooting but might be a problem if you ever want to sell it back.

Post by Guest »

Don't forget walther, they have test tagets better than the anschutz, cheapest of the 3, and they come with sights
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Just to bring this thread to a conclution, my son and I have agreed to jointly purchase him an Anschutz 8002 aluminium stock.

Reasons:

1. Reasonable price on a fairly well respected 10m air rifle.
2. The school he goes to only has Anschutz rifles and can give him the most support with regard to adjusting and allowing him to borrow accessories as he tunes the rifle.
3. Another member of his team already owns one and allowed him to handle and fire the rifle so he has some idea of what to expect.

Thanks again to everyone who provided input.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Fisher wrote:Just to bring this thread to a conclution, my son and I have agreed to jointly purchase him an Anschutz 8002 aluminium stock.

Reasons:

1. Reasonable price on a fairly well respected 10m air rifle.
2. The school he goes to only has Anschutz rifles and can give him the most support with regard to adjusting and allowing him to borrow accessories as he tunes the rifle.
3. Another member of his team already owns one and allowed him to handle and fire the rifle so he has some idea of what to expect..
I think you made the good choice: the top rifles of Anschutz, FWB, Steyr and Walther are all good. The only thing is to find one that fits for you, what is the case for the Anschutz that you had the opportunity to try.

Post by Guest »

I think you made the good choice: the top rifles of Anschutz, FWB, Steyr and Walther are all good. The only thing is to find one that fits for you, what is the case for the Anschutz that you had the opportunity to try.[/quote]

My son's team mate has the very same rifle we ended up purchasing. The young man was generous enough to allow my son to shoot one full target (ten rounds each) in both the prone and kneeling positions. Without making any adjustments to the rifle my son's scores were the highest he had ever shot in those positions. He could have totally blown the standing position and still qualified for the weeks match with another high school.

It has taken some effort on my part to accept the fact that these air rifles are not expensive. But we do not own any video games etc. and riflerey is a real world activity. I am glad to be able to help him with this purchase.
kiwi Shooter188

Post by kiwi Shooter188 »

if you are willing to spend a resnoble amount of money try a feinwerkbau 2700 plenty of adjustiblity
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Fisher,

There is much ignorance when people try to attach scores to the price of a rifle...please let me be more specific:

I have a 700 Basic (I modified it for FT shooting) and I also have an aluminum 700 for 10 m...

Both rifles are IDENTICAL in every way from the very tiny little screw in the trigger to the regulator, barrel and sights…The target that comes from the factory is perfect and identical for both models and the only way to tell them apart is by looking at the serial numbers printed in the Owner’s Manuals...

While it is true that the Basic doesn't have a fancy wood stock, this is in no way going to lessen your scores assuming that the gun fits you...the Basic does have a check piece that is adjustable and the shoulder plate is also adjustable (up & down).

The only adjustment that the 700 Basic doesn’t have is the trigger pull for lengthening the stock but this can be accomplished with shims…Mostly all of the other adjustments that are available in the aluminum model are kept neutral and I have not seen any top shooters shooting aluminum 700's that use major deviations from a neutral position.

One of the technicians from FWB (factory in Germany) told me that the only reason why they put more adjustments in the aluminum stocks is “Because the metal stocks allow them to do it and not because they are necessary”…

Please take a look at the 700 Universal which is also the top of the line 700 with a laminated wood stock; it has the VERY SAME adjustability as the 700 Basic but for the trigger pull. Other that this trigger pull adjustment, the rifles are IDENTICAL IN EVERY WAY and the price difference is more for cosmetics (anodizing of the air cylinder, laminated stock, polishing of the SS barrel liner and adjustable butt plate)…

So anyone telling you that this is a gun that will not give you such or such scores or that this model is not competitive with the best of the best out there (whatever brand or model) has obviously not seen, compared and shot the BASIC, THE UNIVERSAL and THE ALUMINUM 700’s.

I can honestly tell you that I bought my Red Aluminum 700 for looks and because I can afford it and not because it shoots better than the Basic or the Universal.

Remember that "Successful MARKETING is directly proportional to the ignorance of the customer"

Having said this, if you are looking for an affordable top of the line air rifle the FWB Model 700 Basic is an excellent option.