Wind Flags

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Dean Peterson

Wind Flags

Post by Dean Peterson »

I am searching for a source for international style smallbore rifle wind flags.

I've been using grosgrain ribbon - and it works well enough, but I'm pretty certain it is NOT the proper weight. I can't find grosgrain in 2" widths anymore -so I'm sort of stuck.

2" wide x 15" long - the rules specify a material wt but I am not too concerned about that just yet.

I am familiar with the bench rest style flags - but they are too elaborate and NOT legal for our type of shooting.

Basically, I need a source for 2" wide cotton ribbon or other similar wt material. I'd prefer it to be brite red or yellow - but I'm not too picky......

I've seen flags at Prado years ago, and they included a logo of the target system - SPEITH(sp) I think.....

Anything along these lines will help.

THANKS,
Albert B

ISSF windflags

Post by Albert B »

Dean,
I have studied the ISSf windflags. If you use 3 layers of surveyorstape (the thin plastic tape used as warning ribbons on construction sites) cut to a width of 50mm (2 inch) with a length of 400mm (15.75 inch) and use 10 standard type staples to keep the layers fastened to each other you get the exact dimensions and weight as described in the rules: 150 grams per square meter.
As a rule of thumb you can use the following rule:
@50m
ISSF model: angle / 20 = windspeed [m/s]
angle (degrees) / 3 = deviation on target [mm]

Albert B
(The Netherlands)
Dean Peterson

Post by Dean Peterson »

Albert,

Great info. Thank You!!!

The Benchrest shooters have VERY elaborate personal wind indicators - unfortunately these are NOT appropriate for our sport.

Most ranges that I am familiar with (California) provide only very marginal (no disrespect - and at least they provide some form of flag)range flags. Usually surveyors tape at one or two places across the range. Of course, in NRA events, personal wind indicators are allowed, but these are close to the shooter and are not helpful in detecting coming changes etc.

I've created a set for the range I shoot at, but they are NOT 100% according to the specs.

I'm also learning that the way the flag is mounted - parallel to the ground, or vertical to the ground, may have some impact on sensitivity etc.

In any event - thank you for the data on your flags - it's very helpful.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Which range do you use?