Shooting Chrony Setup

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TimTam

Shooting Chrony Setup

Post by TimTam »

Hi,

Bought a Alpha Shooting Chrony and was wondering if anybody has a DIY setup to mount the chrony without setting it up at the range. A setup to mount the chrony with a pellet trap and lights so that it can be used anywhere (for air weapons only).

Appreciate any instructions.

Thanks.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have one. I set it up in my basement. I bought two lampholders for nightlight type lamps and rigged a way to hold them to the screens with paper clips like we use to hold targets. Probably a few lights cut off of one of the old fashioned Christmas light strings would work too. It works very well.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have an archery chrony, i.e the basic model + the chrony lamp system.

I use it also in my basement that is big enough to shoot 10m AP. It work fine, no special problems.
jon_01

Re: Shooting Chrony Setup

Post by jon_01 »

TimTam wrote:Hi,

Bought a Alpha Shooting Chrony and was wondering if anybody has a DIY setup to mount the chrony without setting it up at the range. A setup to mount the chrony with a pellet trap and lights so that it can be used anywhere (for air weapons only).

Appreciate any instructions.

Thanks.
I have my beta Chrony (with optional chrony lights mounted on the sky screens) mounted on my camera tripod. I simply move the tripod in front of my pellet trap, shoot, then remove the tripod when done-- takes seconds to move the setup. If I understand you correctly, you are wondering if you can mount the chrony with the pellet trap. Thats an interesting idea. I'll bet you could do that all on one camera tripod with some patience and experimentation provided the tripod was sturdy enough and you did some creative rigging with the trap so it attaches to the tripod.

best,

Jon
jipe

Post by jipe »

Do not forget that the risk to shoot the Chrony increase with the distance from the shooter !

Everybody sometimes shoot flyers, with a Chrony near the pellet trap, these can become very expensive shots.

Also, you will not measure real muzzle velocity anymore since the speed of the pellet/bullet drops with the distance.