Older pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

durant7

Older pellets

Post by durant7 »

Ok, I have been trying to match some pellets to my replacement 2002SSP after I sold the first one like a dummy. Good news, the first one is used by a youth shooter better than I can so I forget about it.

Ok, attached are two old tins. The Bimoco's are oxidized so they will be just practice. I paid $1.50/500 for two tins so no matter. The H&N Match are just as clean and bright as the new stuff and ironically seem to outshoot Miesterkugelens and JSB SCHak's which were neck & neck.

I have 8 tins of the H&N. First, I trust shooting up old pellets does not cause a collector to freak. Second, were these H&N's high dollar in their day? Or the same stuff is available today?

Sadly, my replacement 2002SSP will not shoot anything I have in inventory as tight as my first SSP. Lesson learned, if you have a ragged hole shooter, KEEP IT regardless if it is not the current "state of the art" rifle.

ASA

Post by ASA »

I remember having once seen the H&N boxes - at least some 10 years ago.

You could have a look at the Website of H&N (an english version is available here: http://www.hn-sport.de/engl/index.htm )

They offer a distributor in the US as well, but I am not sure if this applies for their reloading bullets only: www.rocosystem.com

Coming back to the pellets: Presently, the equivalent could be H&N diabolo sport. When I bought my FWB 100 in 1990 it came along with 10,000 rounds of them in 4.49mm head size (because this was the measured barrel diameter). I still have some 2,000 of them originally sealed - which I use up in my new STEYR LP10 (accidentally it has the same barrel diameter).

Even after 17 years the group size is very acceptable. I did not notice any degradation. However I will be going for the "Finale Match" once the supply is finished.

BTW:
The prize over here in Germany for the H&N diabolo sport type is 155 EURO per 25,000 (3.1 Euro per 500).
A quantity that I would go for as an individual is 10,000 H&N Finale Match =146EURO (7.3 Euro per 500).
Just asking for curiosity: What would be the cost around the world (US, UK, Egypt, Australia, South America, ...) ?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

durant,

I would be interested in having both of the tins you have shown. How about a trade? I will send you two tins of Vogel Match if you will send me on each of what you have shown with some nice clean labels.

thanks
Scott
durant7

Post by durant7 »

Well, I don't trade in EUR that often so I looked it up.

Assuming 1 EUR = 1.415 $USD and 1 USD = .707 EUR.....

An offering for H&N Finale I saw was $395USD/25,000 or 279EUR/25,000 or (5.6 EUR/500) Much lower than your 7.3 EUR but I did not include shipping or tax. I did not shop or compare offerings. I just found one.

An offering for 5,000 or 25,000 is the same for H&N Diablo Sport, $275USD/25,000 or 195EUR/25,000. (3.9 EUR/500) which is higher than your 3.1 EUR/500. Go figure.

So. a) I don't shop match pellets THAT seriously. Perhaps my base numbers in USD are not comparative. b) I'm not a EUR guy but I can do math and I double checked it. Given that, I'm suprised to see one high, one low relative to the German market.

Just information.
Last edited by durant7 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi durant7,

thanks for the information.
It matches another observation: German cars are ususally sold for a cheaper prize in the US than in Germany.

Maybe another viewer could provide information for her/his country?

( In a book titled "Kiss, bow or shake hands - doing business internationally" I read that German business processes are ususally totally intransparant for foreigners - maybe I should add: for Germans too...)
jipe

Post by jipe »

ASA wrote:Coming back to the pellets: Presently, the equivalent could be H&N diabolo sport.
Why would the equivalent of old "H&N Match Kugeln" be H&N diabolo sport ?

H&N still has "H&N Match Kugeln", available in rifle (0.53g) and pistol (0.50g) types. These besides the top of the range "H&N Final Match" also available in rifle and pistol types.
ASA

Post by ASA »

jipe wrote:..Why would the equivalent of old "H&N Match Kugeln" be H&N diabolo sport ? ...
This was my fault - I tried to be too short.

A large retailer here in Germany (Frankonia) did sell the "Match" quality in the 90s when I bought my supply under the name "Frankonia Sport" (which were of H&N origin, re-labelled to the retailer's name) with the head size fitted to the respective barrel diameter, 4.49 Millimeter in my case. The quality standards were and are not revelaed to the public, but according to "reliable sources" the Frankonia Sport were then equivalent to the orginal "Match".

It is presently as you say:
According to the website there are 3 production lines of H&N pellets manufactured either for AP or for AR:

- Finale Match,
- Match and
- Sport.

As an aside:
According to my dealer they would print my own name on their tins provided I would buy more than 500,000 pellets. Therefore I could shoot with my own pellets labelled "ASA's super-duper-match-where-no-pellet-has-gone-before". And I could choose whether they would be "Finale Match", "Match" or just "Sport" quality of pellets..