What do you look for in a range?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

BigRott

What do you look for in a range?

Post by BigRott »

Hello,

Our club is thinking of making some upgrades and I'd like to get some feedback from shooters as to what we should be looking to do. When going to a range (indoor or outdoor), what types of facilities do you look for? What really makes you go "WOW" when you go to a new range for the first time? What would you consider the minimum necessities/amenities to make it worth your while?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Later,

BR
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

In my neck of the woods, if I show up to a range, I usually go "WOW", a range. It is great to have options, but for me, If someone is holding a match, I'll be there. I do like a well lighted range, if possible. Kudos to you for thinking of making a "great range". Dwaine
durant7

Post by durant7 »

More folks who love shooting. Not worried about facilities, just participation and shared learnings. I'm the only one with a air rifle at our Monday night league.....
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Indoors - good lighting, good ventilation

Outdoors - sturdy shooting benches (I'm a pistol shooter), sturdy target frames/supports.
TomN

Post by TomN »

For an outdoor range, a place that won't be closed down by creeping suburbia! Beyond that, a concrete firing line at least 10 points wide, facing North, with cover to keep the sun and rain off. Target frames set into the ground. Wind flags every 2 - 3 points. Clean latrines within 100 yards of the firing line.

For an indoor range, excellent air-handling, backstop, sound control and lighting. Firing points 4 feet wide. Electric target carriers with a height-adjustable target mounting system. A ready room separated from the firing line by an air lock or hallway. Restrooms adequate not only for their obvious function, but also with enough space so 2 or more shooters can wash the lead dust from exposed skin when they're done shooting. A lighted parking lot.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

*Movable* benches so rifle shooters can shoot positions.

And adjustable height target holders.

And target placement/retrieval systems so you don't have to call cease-fires every time someone wants to peer at holes in paper.

Steve Swartz
lus

Whatdo you look for on a range

Post by lus »

My Target Good shooting Bill Horton
JamesH

Ranges

Post by JamesH »

Even lighting on target and firing point, so you can actually see the sights, not just in outline.

No shadows across the targets at any time of day, facing North (or South here :) ) helps, and no obstructions near the targets to cast shadows. Walls need to be spaced away a reasonable distance to the sides.
dlb

Post by dlb »

I'll second the importance of good ventilation and lighting for indoor ranges. This is something that I look for, and I've joined clubs specifically for the fact that they provide good indoor facilities.

How much land does your club own?
Can you support XTC a/o 300M rifle?
2650 Plus

Most comfortable on a range if

Post by 2650 Plus »

First things first, I like the range officer to use correct range commands every time a relay is called to the line. I believe personal preference range commands are an unsafe way to control the range. Next, the asst range officers should be very alert to range and shooters safety issues.They need to be rehersed in range procedures and this is no place for on the job training. I'd like to get through one more match without an accident. [this will be my 312 match without one] Swift and curteous correction insuring that the competitors are in compliance with range rules. Special attention for the new, Inexperenced shooters to help them safely enjoy the competition without interfering with other shooters .Efficient and perfectly accurate scoring of the targets and prompt posting of scores. Strict compliance with the rules by all cxompetitors would finish out a perfect day of shooting. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Range layout

Post by 2650 Plus »

If shooting an ISSF comp please have a metric range. covered firing points are worth while. Electric targets are nice. Adaquate lighting. is essential. If the range is multi use have a yard demension range overlay. If sillhouette is planed have a 100 meter target line for small bore other wise a 50 meter may suffice.Any air rifle or pistol will require a 10 meter target line.Try to be prepared for night time matches. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Albert B

ranges and night shooting

Post by Albert B »

First of all I seconed most of the points about shooting ranges as mentioned above.
Mr. Horton mentioned also night shooting. Although I divert from the subject of ranges, I would like to know if others alter the settings of diameter front- and rear sight and perhaps use a colour filter.
My club in The Netherlands has an outdoor 50m range. The club is open in the evenings and in this time of the year the range starts getting dark or is already dark when we start. The targets and the firing line are lit (according ISSF specs), but the distance between firing line and targets is completely dark. This gives very hard contrast on the targets and a very fast (after aprox 1 second) fading and blurring of the sight picture.
How do you guys cope with such situations?

Thanks,
ALbert B
(The Netherlands)
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

10m
- generally good illumination but specifically the targets and firing point (for sights).
- Solid non-sprung floor (*)
- Well ventilated (*)

50m
- targets naturally illuminated by sunlight i.e. range facing correct direction (*)
- adequate natural wind baffles (*) caution re ISSF rules re range construction
- good drainage to afford good all year use (*)
- adequate protection of electronic targets from weather (*)
- artificial light for night use (*)

All items marked (*) are major failings of the GB National Shooting “purpose built” facility. Good luck!
GCSInc

The Ole Mill Range Complex - Griffin GA

Post by GCSInc »

Come see what we're building in Griffin GA. 52 airgun points, 14 fifty foot smallbore points, and 10 50 meter points, all indoors, all with greater than 1100 lumns on the targets and well lit in the bay... Seating for more than 200 spectators, etc...

Roy McClain
(678) 772-8185 cell
Attachments
2007 Ole Mill Invitational Official Match Program.doc
The Ole Mill Invitational @ The Ole Mill Range Complex
(122.5 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
Ernie Rodriguez

Range Characteristics-Indoor Ranges

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

If health concern is a number one priority,then lead/contaminant inhalation should be a major concern. By that I mean a customer should be ABSOLUTELY certain that the ventilation system is adequate and properly cleaned,that the acoustical materials/tiles are properly cleaned and the floor/rugs are properely cleaned.If uncertain about the range,limit your visits to the range.In a lead blood test,you CAN'T physically detect/notice symptoms of lead poison-even if the reading is in excess of 63mg/dl.Don't ask me how I know.
.donthc

Post by .donthc »

think that of all the factors, lighting is the most important.
hunter1

i sugjest

Post by hunter1 »

id say a range longer than 100 yards people will rarely use anyting past 100 but they will like to have it if they do wan it
corning

Post by corning »

Good ventilation for an indoor range is a must. Fans should be reasonably quiet. Carriers must be adjustable and at a minimum on a manual or automatic pulley system so I don't have to walk downrange.

Outdoor ranges would ideally have be be able to be used for smallbore and highpower. Therefore, the ideal range for me would have to span 50 yards to 1000 yards. Being that 1000 yards would be a stretch, 600 will do fine.

A "clubhouse" would be ideal for shelter and facilities, but since I have competed in places without either, I can do without.

John
tleddy

Range specifications

Post by tleddy »

The NRA has a VERY detailed book on range construction of all types - I believe it costs around USD100 and is worth 10 times that!!

It tells one more than they even want to know about ranges, construction etc

Tillman

Post by Guest »

YES - light the indoor range properly. For whatever reason, most indoor ranges seem to skimp on lighting. They'll go to the effort of installing lanes, target systems, backstops etc., and then light the place like a dive bar. Maybe it's the cost, but I'd think that a smart lighting design can provide good illumination where it's needed without flooding the entire room.

Any other ideas would really depend on your membership and the nature of local shooters. I know of a few nice facilities that are almost never used because the local shooters are mostly good-ol-boys and fudds. They'd otherwise be shooting at cans. So you've got to know your audience, so to speak.