experiment

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

DR.Bob

experiment

Post by DR.Bob »

I enjoyed the Nicole Hamilton debate on ajusting your sights during a match. I am going to run an experiment based on those posts and would apperciate any input that anyone has. (no input and it will not work , it might not work any way) im just bored and need some kind of motavation to get me to the 3x air match. This is my idea (please make suggestions now of any changes or better ideas that u might have)I will (and want others to do this also)( no names just targets)( I know u will hate this part but all shooters must be guests no names) shot 10 warm up shots, then 30 more shots , 10 per target, keeping track of which shot was which, 1 thru 10, I will do this 10 times (never ajusting my sights) This is were u guys come come in . I want u to comment on when u would have made an ajustment if ever. I need others from different skill levels to do this also. Then after 10 times I will try to put your advice and start too adjust during the 30 shots. Again u guys and gals can advise me if I made the right or wrong choices. I will do this 10 times or untill we are all sick of the experiment. Input is vital , others shooting is vital. After its all done we will can debate the data . thanks anyone one for any help it might be fun,,,,,,,,,,D.B.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Sounds interesting, but not sure what you are looking for here.

You're going to have ten sets of 30 shots, fired in 10 shot strings, on ten different days. With shots numbered 1-30 for each day. Sights never adjusted during the entire 300 (400, counting the "not counted" warm up shots) shots.

Is this correct?

And then you want us to comment on when during the 10 sets of 30 shot events we would have adjusted the sights? [based on posted pdfs of the targets? data set of x-y coordinates of each shot?]

Just not sure I understand the rules of engagement here.

Steve
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

We would need to know, for each shot, whether the shooter considered the execution was good enough to call the shot, and where the shot was expected to be.

If you are normally good at calling it is possible to adjust after a single shot, even though it may have been a 10.9
2650 Plus

When to adjust sights again

Post by 2650 Plus »

David, I totally agre with your last statement. ie; adjusting the sights after shooting a 10.9 if the shot is off call. I sincerlly regret never having the guts to do it. The call is all important in what you do about the sight setting, Good Shooting Bill Horton
DR.Bob

experiment

Post by DR.Bob »

I was going to add that to the experiment but did not want to make my first set of directions too complex, when I shot i will put a short note with each shot, others can do the same thing, it wont be perfect but it just might come up with a interesting result. ANY other ideas? will be considered, I set nothing in stone, things can even be changed during the experiment if a better result looks likely.
DR.Bob

experiment

Post by DR.Bob »

after the first set of 30 targets I hope to be able ( and others to be able)to then adjust my sights according to the majority of opinions of those taking part in this experiment, By the time I shot the last target I hope to get a little concensus between a majority of those taking part. With that I would consider this experiment a success.
DR.Bob

experiment

Post by DR.Bob »

Any lab rats that wish to shoot (please no names)ALL I CARE ABOUT IS HOLES IN TARGETS AND OPINIONS OF OTHER SHOOTERS. It would be nice to have shooters that score below 500, 500 to520, 520 to 540, 540 to560,and above 560. of course thats based on 600 not the 300 we will use,I want shooters that agree with nicole and shooters that disagee with nicole to shot in this experiment. U must shot by the guide lines but if u wish too hurry it along shot only 150 shots then switch to the 2nd half of the experiment. I donot want to know how u normally shot untill its over.If one person can say we helped their average by one point when we are done I will be happy, If I can get just 2 others to go along with this I will be happy. SO GET STARTED START SHOOTING, I will start this weekend (IF U SHOOT PLEASE BE A GUEST, if u comment be yourself) this is not a shooting contest this is not practice hopefully it will be TRAINING. thanks for your comments already Im already happy with the start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,long winded DR.Bob