Sight elevation blocks limit

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Sight elevation blocks limit

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everybody.Due to my tall neck i have added to my FWB P70 some 20mm Anschutz blocks.Still the sights are not on my eye level and i have to bend my neck a little.By this,idon't have a very neutral position.Anyone knows what is the ISSF limit on elevating the sights?
JeroenH

60 mm

Post by JeroenH »

http://www.issf-shooting.org/rules/engl ... 5_2nd.html

"Distance from center of the front sight ring or top of post to center of
bore either directly above or offset (except for those shooters firing from the right shoulder but using their left eye)."
300 m Standard Rifle: 60 mm
Air rifle: 60 mm
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I know this rule but i think it refers to the front site only.I don't know if there is a limit for the rear site.This is the site that i must elevate to help my neck position.I know that both sites must be elevated but can i raise the rear more?
peepsight

Sight raising blocks

Post by peepsight »

Have you lowered the cheek piece as far as it will go?

Its correct, the fore sight cannot be higher than 60mm when measured from the centre of the fore sight to the centre of the barrel. This is an ISSF rule.

Its also worth remembering that generally when using sight raising blocks, the fore sight needs to be about 4mm higher than the rear sight.
This then keeps the back sight adjustment some where central which gives more scope for adjustment in all four points, lateral and up/down.

If you have only used 20mm you do have more scope for more height.

The best raiser blocks that go very high in 4mm steps is the CENTRA, check their web site.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Very interesting!!!Tthank you a lot!!!
peepsight

Sight raising blocks

Post by peepsight »

Hi tsokasn

Sorry, i misinformed you. Its the back site that should be approximately
4mm higher than the fore sight when using raiser blocks. Hope you under stand.

Peepsight
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

No problem peepsight,your help is valuable.So to see if i have this clear,in order to fit the riiffle in my measurments,i can raise the fore sight up to 60mm(centre to centre)and the rear sight up to 64mm?
peepsight

Raiser blocks

Post by peepsight »

Hi

I would say that taking your sight elevation to the heights you mention is a bit extreme and i would rather achieve a good head position by adjusting the cheek piece. Better still, seek advice from a good 3 positional shooting coach who will be better placed to see the problems and make sensible recommendations.

Peepsight
JeroenH

Post by JeroenH »

tsokasn wrote:... So to see if i have this clear,in order to fit the riiffle in my measurments,i can raise the fore sight up to 60mm(centre to centre)and the rear sight up to 64mm?
You can raise the fore sight until you have 60 mm centre-centre (although I'd keep it a little smaller to avoid discussions when they check your equipment). After that, you can raise the rear sight as far as you like (no further constraints in the regulation). But in practice there is no further height to be gained: the rear sight simply has to go to the height where you shoot 10.9's when all is aligned.
Kiwi bob

Sight raising

Post by Kiwi bob »

I recently added 10mm blocks front and rear to my Anschutz 1413, no problems. However I then installed a "Centra" front sight and I had to wind the vertical adjustment on the rear sight off the scale to get it all aligned. This was fixed by putting a 4mm spacer under the rear sight and it brought the adjustment back to zero.
Regards Kiwi bob
peepsight

Raiser blocks

Post by peepsight »

Hi kiwi bob

I found with my Centra block club raiser blocks and Centra fore sight tunnel that i needed to jack up the back sight by an exra 4mm. This kept the back site iris near enough central in its housing. I just used a few steel washers and the right length screws. This was on my Steyr LG-100 air rifle, but these dimensions may be different for other makes of rifle.

Its trial and error untill you achieve the ideal.

Peepsight
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

Anyone watched Rajmond Devevec shooting his Smallbore Feinwerkbau?!
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

Anyone watched Rajmond Devevec shooting his Smallbore Feinwerkbau?!
Attachments
IMG_0570.JPG
peepsight

Raiser blocks

Post by peepsight »

Wow

Thats some elevation, if you look at recent pictures of Maik Eckhard shooting his Walther air rifle, he has elevated his sights to the maximum allowed. Mind you, Maik like Rajmond has a long neck.

Its worth remembering that the higher you go the more chances of error especially if you use cant.
JeroenH

Raiser blocks & cant

Post by JeroenH »

peepsight wrote:Its worth remembering that the higher you go the more chances of error especially if you use cant.
Well... I'm not sure what kind of error you mean.
What I _do_ know is this: (1) if you vary the cant angle between shots, this will influence the Point of Impact on your target; (2) this effect is NOT influences by using elevated sights.

For more details about cant angle and elevated sights... :
http://home.wanadoo.nl/jhogema/skeetn/b ... allist.htm

time to change the rules back

Post by Guest »

This is getting pretty ridiculus! It's as overblown and outrageuos as the "chin guns" that were used in smallbore rifle silhuette years ago.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

What a...So many blocks...I don't know,i made my work out today after seven days of no shooting(31c in Greece,not a comfort temp to wear the shooting jacket)and i couldn't stand steal.After the 20mm blocks i have added,the riffle sits better on me but not perfect.In order to take advantage of the buttplate,i placed it at the lowest point of its max downward position,the barrel went down and i have to raise my left hand in order to raise the riffle.I am doing this by bending my waist to the right.The result is that i can't stand steal.What am i doing wrong?Should i add another 20mm block(always have in mind the isssf rule)Please help me...!!!
Joe66

To: Tsoksan

Post by Joe66 »

Tsokasn

20mm raiser block on your P70 is fine. Don’t add any more.
The lower you move your butt plate down, the lower your rifle points. Try moving the butt back up, and you will also find that it is more stable.
Try increasing your P70 cheek piece higher. You may have to replace the 2 bolts (underneath cheek piece) that sets the cheek piece height. Go to the Hardware store and get 2 bolts with the same thread, but 3cm longer.
You don’t want to set your cheek piece too high, because you should drop your head (a little) onto the cheek piece; this adds more stability to your hold.

Joe66
isuguncoach

riser blocks

Post by isuguncoach »

A great question, and good help on this thread, but I do have a question. Tsokasn is concerned with having a tall body structure (neck) and needing riser blocks, but riser blocks are most helpful with a person that has a great distance between their cheek bone and line of sight of the eye. Some people have bigger/longer heads than others (does this open up a new discussion ;).
Riser blocks will help with aligning your eye with the sights if you have used all of the adjustment in your cheek piece. A long necked body structure can usually use the butt plate adjustment to get the rifle higher to reach the cheek. Peepsight mentioned this in this thread.

Tsokasn might be dealing with two different problems. The long neck structure could be adjusted for with the butt plate. The long distance between cheek bone and eye could be adjusted with riser blocks.

However, if the rifle is not adjusted to the long neck structure, riser blocks will not solve the problem.

Joe
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Ok,now i am really confused.
Joe 66,i have adjusted the cheek piece so that my eye is aligned with the sights.The bolts are just fine.If i move the butt plate up,when i place the buttplate on my shoulder,the riffle gets lower and i have to lower my head in order to see through the sites,in to a preety much unconvinient position.If i raise the cheekpiece more,i will go out of aim.I aim exactly as you describe.
Isuguncoach,i am a new shooter and i am learning all the time.As i sayed i have lowered the buttplate into it's max downward position.Before the raiser blocks i really had to bent my head in order to aim through the sights.With the 20mm blocks+buttplate full down,things are better,still not perfect.As for the blocks(this is only my opinion as a new shooter)i believe that when fore/rear/eye/head/cheekpiece are aligned,in order to have a comfortable head position, the body of the riffle must get lowered.I think this is what the blocks do.Again this is my theory and i may be wrong.I appreciate all of your help.