Comparing Anschutz air rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2many7s

Comparing Anschutz air rifles

Post by 2many7s »

Hello, I am in the market for a top quality air rifle for my son but I do not know if spending the money on a 2500 dollar Anschutz 9003 or aluminum stocked Anschutz 8002 is a wise buy at this point. I am looking at the 8002 CMP laminated wood stocked rifle with sights for about 1200.00 The 8002 is closer to 1700.00 and I do not think it includes sights. Can someone tell me if the insides of these guns are identical? I have heard a vague rumor that the cheaper 8002s might not have the same quality of internal parts. Currently he is shootinf a P70 Junior but it is the clubs and I would also like for his rifle to be able to accomidate a scope for silhouette air rifle competitions, whgich the P70 can not do.

THANKS
EdR

Post by EdR »

I've seen a few of both and as far as outside appearance they look identical. I think the lower price is just due to the cmp getting them cheaper and they're not really looking for a profit. I believe if you think your sone is going to stick with it and you can afford it get an aluminum stock fwb or walther.
peepsight

Which Anschutz air rifle

Post by peepsight »

From what i hear around Europe, the 9003 has a mixture of lovers and haters. Those who don't like it say it is too dead when firing due to a very [over efficiant] Steyr stabilizer. There are those who prefer the 8002 as it does give the shooter some feed back on firing.

My own personal favourite is the 8002 in a laminated wood stock. If you don't mind the limited adjustment that wood has over alu. then try an 8002 in wood.
Having said all that, Walther, Steyr and FWB are all as good and it is rather academic to say one is better than another. This subject seems to be the most common on this forum.
I have a sneaking feeling that we guys are just as guilty as the ladies for chosing some thing on eye appeal first.
acetan

Comparing different top drawer air rifles

Post by acetan »

I agree with Peepsight totally. I bought a 9003 in May and just love it. After three weeks with the 9003 my mind's made up. I sold my FWB 700 alu in June and am selling my Steyr LG100. I did not try the 8002 though.

As Peepsight said, brand to brand or even model to model preference is a very personal thing. It always amaze me to read "absolute definitive" evaluations regarding the different premium air rifles from "guru with authority". Just go to ISSF TV and observe the models used on the firing line, and those are choices made by shooters with real authority.
peepsight

What air rifle

Post by peepsight »

Hi acetan

You bottom lined the argument when you said look at the ISSF TV.

I rest my case

Peepsight
Joe66

Get the older models don't buy a new one

Post by Joe66 »

Like I always said, get an Older models of the FWB. They are built to last and take you all the way to the Olympics.

P70 or a C62 will do the job, so will a FWB 600 or 601 if you don't mind cocking.
acetan

P70, yes, 600? I don't think so.

Post by acetan »

P-70 can still do the job for sure, but with C-62, 601 or even 602, you're at a distinct disadvantage.

Old air rifles with blued steel and figured walnut do give you a warm feeling but if you want to compete with the best, you need the best equipment available.

I shoot an Anschutz 9003. I am trying to sell my Steyr LG10p and Steyr LG100. I am keeping my old P-70 because it is the rifle I grew with. I still have my FWB300 mini because it was my first "serious" 10 meter rifle. my old rifles are nice for sentimental reasons but my score suffers if I have to use them for competition.

I have owned and sold an FWB 300s, an An LG380, a Walther CG90, a Walther CGM, an FWB 601, an FWB C-62 and an FWB 700. I would rate them all between 95 to 100 quality-wise. I do NOT see any degrading of built or material quality in any of these different manufacturers. If anything, I would say they have changed for the better. CNC machinery for manufacturing is an absolute improvement over having to hand-fit every individual part by the last few master gunsmiths left in the world, an inferior solution for a less-developed world.
Joe66

acetan - Did you really own or shot a P700 and a P70?

Post by Joe66 »

Too acetan,

Here is one example, the back area of the alum stock of the P700 is spray painted on, and the paint comes off. The back alum stock of the P70 is NOT spray painted on, it is Anodized alum.

Did you really own or shot a P700 and a P70? I question this.
If so, do you ever shoot it in completion for a long period of time. If you did, you would know.

Stop blowing hot air.
Anybody here can verify what I said.