Gun Case question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan F

Gun Case question

Post by Jordan F »

I just picked up a Gungaurd double gun case (one with the aluminium trim, plastic hard body, combination locks, etc) for my Feinwerkbau 2700 and 700 alu.

It has the three layer foam and the bottom piece of foam is about 3/4" thick or so.

Would it be best to cut out the middle piece of foam to fit these two guns?

Any comments would be appreciated ![/u]
B.T.Carstensen

Post by B.T.Carstensen »

I would get two gun cases for your rifles, you can do a lot of damage to your air rifle if you have a smallbore rifle in the same case. If you think about where the rifles are being shot,
the air rifle is shot indoors because it like to be clean and the smallbore is vary dirty it's shot mostly outdoors. If you put the air and smallbore in the same case you run the risk of damaging your air cylinder threads because what can happen is all the grit and power residue from your smallbore can make your cylinder lock up in the mechanism so that you can't get it out and it can cost $200+++ to get it fixed. I have talked with 10-ring about and he does not like to see an smallbore in the same caes as a air gun. So you might want to spend the money now a get two cases and very possible save yourself a headache and some money. One other thing if you are going to say the OTC for a week then go a head a put the two rifles ine he same case if you have two, but clean the air cylinder threads with some rubbing alcohol why rubbing alcohol because it evaporates quickly.
Hope this helps.

-Brian
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

We use double cases for our junior club, and find it works best to cut out the center section of foam for each rifle. This gives good lateral support when the airline throw the case.

I can't imagine putting a gun in a case if it is so filthy that it will contaminate the other rifle in the case. Get some cleaning equipment (at leat a silicone cloth) to clean up your smallbore when finished shooting.

As far as wiping the threads on the air rifle and]or cyliner, I'd be very careful about using alchohol of anything that will leave the threads very dry. Make sure not grit is in the internal thread, and wipe off the external thread with a soft cloth, finish wiping external thread with the silicone cloth and I think you should be OK (be sure cylinder is fully threaded into the rifle during transportation, as partially threaded ones can vibrate and damage the threads).
randy1952

Re: Gun Case question

Post by randy1952 »

Jordan F wrote:I just picked up a Gungaurd double gun case (one with the aluminium trim, plastic hard body, combination locks, etc) for my Feinwerkbau 2700 and 700 alu.

It has the three layer foam and the bottom piece of foam is about 3/4" thick or so.

Are you planning on traveling on the airlines with these cases? If so, I would get a stronger case. The airlines will make mince meat out of that case. I would have a hard time trusting a case that costs maybe just alittle over $100 with about $5000 worth of rifles.
Matt

Re: Gun Case question

Post by Matt »

Jordan F wrote:I just picked up a Gungaurd double gun case (one with the aluminium trim, plastic hard body, combination locks, etc) for my Feinwerkbau 2700 and 700 alu.

Jordan,

Your Gunguard case has very little chance of surviving the rough treatment dished out by the airline baggage handlers.

I would recommend an ICC or Storm double case. My son has used his ICC for four years now and has had only one broken stock incident. (Keep in mind that this is flying extensively nationally and internationally and lots of road trips with it). My daughter has been using a Storm case for two years and she has had zero incidents using it. (Several national flights and lots of road traveling). The Storm case is lighter that the ICC case.

I would highly recommend returning the case if you haven't done anything to it. And, shop for a great price on a Storm or an ICC.

Good luck!

Matt
rfwhatley

Recent case buys

Post by rfwhatley »

Here's an idea for those on a budget...

I recently looked on Ebay for gun cases and was surprised at the high prices. Then remembered that any accessory having to do with a hobby simply costs more. So I looked up the same size cases for 54-key keyboards and they were about half the price.

Check that out.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for all the help!

I will look into some of those ideas and go for there.

I am only 15 right now so probably won't be doing air travel for a while but maybe some day if I make the "provincial team" I will be doing some?

Jordan
peepsight

Gun case

Post by peepsight »

Hi Jordon F

OK, when you have a case for your rifles, you need to keep the interior as dust/grit free as possible so evey now and again VAC out the case with a VAC hose/nozzle. Do every pocket in the foam until you have been from one end to the other.

Also collect up all those little bags of cillica gel that lots of goods are packed with these days and place several packs around the case.
This way any dampness or moist air can be absorbed before it can corrode your guns. About once a month dry these bags out on a hot rad or similar for a few hours then put them back in the case.

Peepsight
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks Peepsite - very good tips.

I through out all the cilica gel paks but will try to find some more - especailly since I live in a very humid area.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Jordan .... plan ahead and get a good case.

Work hard for a year and you will be traveling.
Look here:http://www.cases4less.com/

Sometimes they have sales on Storm and Pelican cases
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Thanks for the additional replies

After talking to another shooter down at my club and how he told me a story of how at one national event a greyhound bus ran over his gun case at the airport with his gun in it and cracked his stock I think I will get a better one.

I kinda feal bummed about buying that other case but I am sure I will find a use for it.

The one I am looking at right now is the Pelican 1750 case. With this case I could store both guns and feel a little more relaxed when flying !

This is, of course, if I ever get that far in shooting and make the provincial team!

Thanks!