Compressed air cylinders when stored ,fully charged or not ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

My cylinders (I have two) are very seldom empty. When they reach down to like 70 bar I don't shoot anymore before replacing with a fully charged one (200 bar). I pump up the cylinders before shooting or perhaps the night before the day I intend to shoot.

That way I mostly have both cylinders charged at 70-100 bar all the time. Enough to keep them safe and in a condition that they will not let dirt or moisture in, and never at "full charge".
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Filling your cylinder the night before is better and you should fill it either a little more to (about+200 psi) or fill it to 3000psi, then come back a 1/2 hour later ( the pressure will have drop) and top it off back to 3000 psi. Remember Charles's law of physic, gas being compressed will generate heat which will expand accordingly (general gas law). So if you fill your cylinder just before shooting to 3000 psi, within about 10mn your pressure will drop down to 100-200 psi or more depending on how much heat was generated during filling.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Yeah I know. If I fill it to 200 bar (+/-5, it's not that important to me) and leave it for an hour and look at it again, it's like 185-190 bar when it's cooled down.
But since I can get like 120+ shots out of it before reaching 70-80 bar it's not a big problem. And if I would need more air, well then I just pick up my next cylinder. =)
2650 Plus

Accidental discharges

Post by 2650 Plus »

Comment for Mr Ron Stubbs. I have very few incidents to back up my theory on accidental discharges but I ask you to consider this. If you shoot long enough you will have an accidental discharge. If you continue to shoot, eventually you will have another one. I do believe this to be an example of the theory of probability at work in our sport. The fact that you never hear of anyone being hurt is a testimonial to safe gun handling Good Shooting Ron Bill Horton.
Fred Mannis

Re: Accidental discharges

Post by Fred Mannis »

2650 Plus wrote:Comment for Mr Ron Stubbs. I have very few incidents to back up my theory on accidental discharges but I ask you to consider this. If you shoot long enough you will have an accidental discharge. If you continue to shoot, eventually you will have another one. I do believe this to be an example of the theory of probability at work in our sport. The fact that you never hear of anyone being hurt is a testimonial to safe gun handling Good Shooting Ron Bill Horton.
Definitely. Always point your gun in a safe direction, so that if (when) it goes off, no one will be injured. I had my second last week - pellet into the bench top. My first was 20 years ago (after more than 30 years of shooting) - a 38spl round into my living room wall :-((