Blinders - Black or White/Translucent?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rfwhatley

Blinders - Black or White/Translucent?

Post by rfwhatley »

I fitted a home-made matte black plastic blinder about 2 inches from my eye, mounted using the rear rifle sight. This is the way I've seen it done in numerous photos and during several years of 3P 4H events.

My 20yo son, who reads a lot more about anything and everything, took one look and said that the blinder should be white or translucent so that both eye's irises open the same amount, and thereby don't keep the brain "guessing".

While this seems to make complete sense, I wanted to get you guys/gals opinion and insights. Thanks in advance.
joydeepk

Post by joydeepk »

Your son is probably 100% right.i use to have a black one in juniors and after an enlightment and on hands practical use, i came to the conclusion of havin a white one. u can well try your black one with a white paper/sticker pasted to its inside and see that is comfortable for u or not.
regards.
isuguncoach

blinders

Post by isuguncoach »

Cut your blinder from a gallon plastic milk jug, you can get 5 or 6 from one jug. Clear enough to let light in, but cloudy enough to function well as an "ocluder", a pc word for blinder.

Joe
WRC

Post by WRC »

I found that a light colored blinder will create more glare and more reflections in my eyeglass lenses. YMMV but I went back to a piece of brown craft foam for mine.
isuguncoach

blinder

Post by isuguncoach »

WRC, you'll never age enough to need glasses, you'll shoot centers for years...

Joe
peepsight

Blinder

Post by peepsight »

Everybody is about right on this, the blinder or ocluder is to stop the non aiming eye from seeing and possibly taking over, especially if it is your better or master eye.
Both eyes should remain open when shooting but only one eye is used for aiming. The non aiming eye must therefore receive light through a translucent ocluder so light input to the brain is reasonably balanced.

The ISSF introduced a recent rule change on ocluder dimensions, check the web site. You will not believe why, its nothing to do with the shooters preference to ocluder size and how it might help his/her shooting. Its so more of the shooters face can be seen by the cameras!!!!
rfwhatley

Arggggg!

Post by rfwhatley »

Dang, I hate it when my son knows more than I do !

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses.
WaltherWill

Post by WaltherWill »

Well, No matter what color you use, your eyes irises are servoed together. They will be roughly the same size no matter the difference in light on each eye. The reason you want to use translucent is to allow your aiming eye to be the size it wants to be instead of working to match the non-aiming eye. Therefore the translucent allows the light to make it to your non-aiming eye while keeping it your NON-aiming eye. isuguncoach's idea with the gallon jug is the same way I made mine and I believe it's the best idea. Really cheap too!
rfwhatley

Go one better

Post by rfwhatley »

WaltherWill wrote: isuguncoach's idea with the gallon jug is the same way I made mine and I believe it's the best idea. Really cheap too!
Will -
Thanks for the tip. Ever the clever one to engineer the "better mouse trap", I think I'll make mine from a 2 gallon jug !!

While I'm at it, maybe I should make one for my son that covers both eyes !!

Thanks again