5 meters practice with scatt

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Favelini

5 meters practice with scatt

Post by Favelini »

I just buy a second hand scatt system with all the stuff (2.0 software version), but I want to practice to 5 meters. Does it possible or I need a special target sensor?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It really depends which version of the hardware you have.

The latest USB versions can be used from 4m to 12m. Some of the earlier serial port versions would only go down to 7 or 8 m and you needed to buy a separate 5m target holder. On some of the really old (metal cased) systems you had to use trial and error and make the target transmiters more opaque, not a good option.

You really need to contact you local Scatt dealer with as much information as possible and get their advice.
favelini

thanks

Post by favelini »

David

thank you for your advise
Shin
Site Admin

Re: 5 meters practice with scatt

Post by Shin »

Put a mirror at 5 meters and Scatt somewhere near you and use it at 10m. I did not try it myself but read on Russian forums that this setup really works and Scatt was designed to work with the mirror. Don't try to live fire though...
Favelini wrote:I just buy a second hand scatt system with all the stuff (2.0 software version), but I want to practice to 5 meters. Does it possible or I need a special target sensor?
David Levene

Re: 5 meters practice with scatt

Post by David Levene »

Shin wrote:Put a mirror at 5 meters and Scatt somewhere near you and use it at 10m.
Favelini wrote:I just buy a second hand scatt system with all the stuff (2.0 software version), but I want to practice to 5 meters. Does it possible or I need a special target sensor?
The problem with using a single mirror is that things are reversed.

When training in confined areas we have used 2 mirrors, one next to the target (about 24" away to stop interference) and the other next to you.

The main points to ensure are that the mirrors are flat, parallel with each other and firmly fixed.

As a solution it is better than nothing, but worse than using a 5m target (on the older systems where it is required).