Looking for online tutorials re air pistol technique.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RFC

Looking for online tutorials re air pistol technique.

Post by RFC »

Are there any good online sources or tutorials for international air pistol technique.

The training and psychological essays are fine, but I am looking for "how to" re stance, arm position and hold, aiming, etc.

Thanks

RFC
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

You will find plenty of "how to" in the archive.

Also note that the volume of "training and psychological essays" are also there for a reason.

Consider this: all of the stuff you are concerned about matters not a whit outside of how they contribute to the last 200-300 ms prior to the pellet exiting the muzzle . . . which is what most of those "essays" are all about.

Sigh.

O.K., there are a number of simple, easy to read and understand "how to" books out there. The USAMU's "Advanced Pistol Guide" is one of the better ones- and there was talk a while back about it being put on-line somewhere but am not sure it has happened yet.

I am assuming you have already googled "pistol shooting," "pistol training," "pistol manual," etc. etc. to no avail?

Perhaps ordering a paper copy of the manual (available through the Civilian Marksmanship Program; SH 23-35-1) and waiting a few days for it to show up might be worth investigating?

Welcome to a fascinating and wonderful "Hobby" (obsession) and you will find that most of us, however initially "cranky" we may seem, will give you all the advice (Good, Bad, and Ugly) that you can possibly stand . . . =8^)

Steve Swartz
Fred Mannis

Re: Looking for online tutorials re air pistol technique.

Post by Fred Mannis »

RFC wrote:Are there any good online sources or tutorials for international air pistol technique.

The training and psychological essays are fine, but I am looking for "how to" re stance, arm position and hold, aiming, etc.

Thanks

RFC
See http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm for online AMU Pistol Guide

Target Shooting Canada has a good basic how to section http://www.targetshooting.ca/ . You will find a menu on the left side of the main page - click on Training Information, then Technical Training Pistol.

Keep a training diary, It will help you sort out those things that work (for you) and those that don't. And don't forget - this is supposed to be FUN.

Fred
PardiniGSP

Post by PardiniGSP »

Read the two articles: "The Vital Problems of Pistol Shooting by Anatoliy Piddubnyy" (Parts 1 & 2) in the Pilkguns Pistol Coaching Index.

They're all you need to know about air and free pistol shooting.

Post by Guest »

Thanks so much. I have not noticed any crankiness, only helpful replies.

I have cycled through air rifles and pistols several times, then back to rimfires and centerfires. The last time started about 1 1/2 years ago. This time it is going to stuck, as well as dramatically impacting my "fun money" stash.
2650 Plus

Air pistol fundamentals

Post by 2650 Plus »

I'm sure you are correct when you say you want to get information about stance, position , grip breath control, Natural point of aim,trigger manipulation ect. These are the foundation of good shooting. Get the manual from the army marksmanship on advanced pistol marksman shipGo to the DCM to get the address. T.he seven times national pistol champion. seems to say start the finger moving straight to the rear , hold the gun still in your aiming area, and concentrate on perfecting sight alignment until the gun fires. You should have follow through because of the natural reaction time that occures on a suprise shot Bill Horton