electronic target systems

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

guido lastra

Post by guido lastra »

I am tired of having to change positions on different targets! I would be interested in 10 and/or 50 meters rifle electronic systems. Anybody knows if they can be found in the US?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you are asking if someone has them in stock the answer would most likely be no. But there are probably dealers for all the major mfg's or I'm sure you can buy direct from some of the mfg's if they don't have a dealer, so you can order anything you want ie Suis Ascor, Meyton, Speith, Polytronic or Herring. Like the saying goes you can get anything you want if you have the time and money. For personal use the Meytons are nice as there are no consumables, very popular in Europe.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

It would be entertaining to know how much the systems go for now. Centershot Sports used to have a 10M electronic for something like @1200(us). US currency has crashed since then, but maybe, just maybe the prices have dropped too.

LArry
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I wish George would post prices on his website. He could add the usual disclaimer for exchange rate.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Richard H wrote:For personal use the Meytons are nice as there are no consumables, very popular in Europe.
I've never heard of them. All I've seen and used personally is Sius Ascor although I've seen Harings as well, but never shot on them. Most work out pretty expensive and are also need a fair degree of maintenance and upkeep - in my experience.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
Richard H wrote:For personal use the Meytons are nice as there are no consumables, very popular in Europe.
I've never heard of them. All I've seen and used personally is Sius Ascor although I've seen Harings as well, but never shot on them. Most work out pretty expensive and are also need a fair degree of maintenance and upkeep - in my experience.
That's one of the advantages of the Meyton, on the 10m version at least. Because you are not relying on sound you don't need the paper roll, the source of most electronic target problems. The disadvantage of course is that you do not have a permanent record from which you can re-calculate any challenged shots.
Ernie Rodriguez

Electronic Trainer

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

The Scatt system presently cost $1300+ shipping.It is available from CenterShot Sports.
guido lastra

electronic targets

Post by guido lastra »

I do have a scatt system. Are yu telling me that it can be used as a scoring system shooting live ammo (pellets)?
David Levene

Re: electronic targets

Post by David Levene »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:The Scatt system presently cost $1300+ shipping.It is available from CenterShot Sports.
guido lastra wrote:I do have a scatt system. Are yu telling me that it can be used as a scoring system shooting live ammo (pellets)?
The Scatt system is an electronic trainer, not an electronic target.

Yes, you can use it to live fire air pellets but it will still only give you the calculated shot position. As with all electronic trainers this need not necessarily be the actual shot position.
macca

Post by macca »

Dear David,
Greetings.
With a little judicious use of the mouse the actual shot position and the shown shot position should be within plus or minus about two tenths of the correct value using the Scatt system at 10M and approximately double that st 50M.
Yes, I am aware that that may not sound mathematically correct but the observation of practical shooting.
With best regards,
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

RobStubbs wrote:

Rob.
Well I guess you got to get out and shoot at more places then.
Richard H

Re: electronic target systems

Post by Richard H »

macca wrote:Dear David,
Greetings.
With a little judicious use of the mouse the actual shot position and the shown shot position should be within plus or minus about two tenths of the correct value using the Scatt system at 10M and approximately double that st 50M.
Yes, I am aware that that may not sound mathematically correct but the observation of practical shooting.
With best regards,
And you'd want to have to set that up that way every time you shoot on it?

That's why the Scatt is best left as a trainer and if you want an actual electronic scoring target you buy an electronic scoring target.

Don't forget you are not including the price of a computer when comparing a trainer to the electronic target as soon as you add the cost of a new computer in there the prices get a lot closer (which would be a more fairer comparison of prices).
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

macca wrote:Dear David,
Greetings.
With best regards,
And you'd want to have to set that up that way every time you shoot on it?

That's why the Scatt is best left as a trainer and if you want an actual electronic scoring target you buy an electronic scoring target.

Don't forget you are not including the price of a computer when comparing a trainer to the electronic target as soon as you add the cost of a new computer in there the prices get a lot closer (which would be a more fairer comparison of prices).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

macca wrote:With a little judicious use of the mouse the actual shot position and the shown shot position should be within plus or minus about two tenths of the correct value using the Scatt system at 10M and approximately double that st 50M.
That may be so but that is hardly up to the accuracy of an electronic target.

Having been involved with using electronic trainers, predominantly Scatt, for many years I am convinced that they are a fantastic training tool but much less good as a score predictor. They are probably a bit more accurate for rifle than for pistol.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Check out Megalink. Many of the NCAA teams are installing them on their ranges. I have used them and so far they work great. They sell a setup where you can buy a target and use your laptop as the display. Very nice system. Martin Edmonson is the USA rep.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

David Levene wrote:
macca wrote:With a little judicious use of the mouse the actual shot position and the shown shot position should be within plus or minus about two tenths of the correct value using the Scatt system at 10M and approximately double that st 50M.
That may be so but that is hardly up to the accuracy of an electronic target.

Having been involved with using electronic trainers, predominantly Scatt, for many years I am convinced that they are a fantastic training tool but much less good as a score predictor. They are probably a bit more accurate for rifle than for pistol.
David,

Your post reminded me of this thought and it might be a new topic but here goes. It has always seemed to me that electronic targets (Sius Ascor) are "generous" in their scoring. I base this on my own experience with calling shots, and I'd swear the Sius Ascor AP targets were very kind to me.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, does the OTC still use paper targets for the 3x Air matches? If so, I wonder if that has any effect on the scores?

Stan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IPshooter wrote:David,

Your post reminded me of this thought and it might be a new topic but here goes. It has always seemed to me that electronic targets (Sius Ascor) are "generous" in their scoring. I base this on my own experience with calling shots, and I'd swear the Sius Ascor AP targets were very kind to me.
I am not really in a position to answer this one Stan as all of my shooting, what little I now do, is on Sius Ascor. As such I have no comparison and anyway, with the lack of practice, my shot calling is not as accurate as it used to be.

If the systems are being generous then my shooting really has gone downhill ;-(
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

IPshooter wrote:
David Levene wrote:
macca wrote:

Also, does the OTC still use paper targets for the 3x Air matches? If so, I wonder if that has any effect on the scores?

Stan
IIRC, the OTC has Suis Ascor targets on the first ten positions and they are used for finals. The elimination rounds are fired on paper targets.
randy1952

Target System

Post by randy1952 »

The OTC replaced the Suis Ascor targets with Megalink electronic targets over a year ago.