electronic target systems

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tim Conrad

Post by Tim Conrad »

OTC now has 10 Megalink 10 meter targets (mostly for training and finals), 27 ML 50 meter targets, used at most matches. The Ascor targets were converted to 25 meter, used for Sport and Rapid. I do not think Ascor is 'overly generous' in scoring, comparing many shooters scores on paper and electronic. The Scatt system certainly is. I shoot about 5 points higher in a 60-prone match than on real 50M paper targets. Alas, I cannot blame it on the gun or ammo. Something about the nut behind the bolt...

About 10 NCAA universities have purchased Megalink systems, also used for the national championships in 2006 & 2007. As noted by others, Martin Edmondson is their rep in the U.S. They do have a target that will run from a PC. Nevada-Reno has several of them. In terms of operating expense: For our club 50 meter matches, Megalink is a tad less expensive than Edelmann paper targets. OTC doesn't have enough targets for 10 meter matches, still would cost a bit more than U.S. printed single bull targets, and a lot more than 10 bull targets. IMHO, the Megalink software is far easier to use than anything else.

You can contact Martin at <edmondson.martin@gmail.com>

(Full disclosure: I provide technical support for Megalink in the U.S. :)
FabioBrasil

Post by FabioBrasil »

Using Scatt as an eletronic target to acatually shoot with air pistol or air rifle:

1 - Place de sensor directly in front of a pellet catcher. It may be necessary to remove de cords of the target carrier (in case of a tripod).

2 - Get an ondinary paper target an remove de black bull. I use to cut between the 4 and 5 zone (air rifle) to keep the perfect roundness for aiming.

3 - Shoot live pellets and calibrate the system normally as if you are doing dry fire in your room...

4 - You will realize that you do not need to use a perfect ammo because what matters is the Scatt sensor only and you do not need to "see" holes on the real paper target. It saves good ammo! It saves paper targets! it works!

5 - So, you may choose to se the software to see the treces or not, simply hidding the trace window, only seeing the series window.

It worth more than an "exclusive" eletronic target because you can use Scatt for training analisys as it is.

You also will have the "mobility" to pack and unpack you "personal" eletrônic target e get use of it in almost every shooting range.

Sorry fot the poor english!

Regards

Fabio Coelho
Brazil -Pan Am Rifle Team 1991,1995,2003 and 2007.
guido lastra

electronic targets, prices are impossible! Thanks Fabio

Post by guido lastra »

Thanks for your comments, Fabio. I appreciate and I will follow your advise. I really think shooting with SCATT makes a difference, if you consider that you can also use them for dryfire training. I have the prices for the current electronic systems used at 10 meter, and they are really unreachable unless you are sponsored by someone (this is without the cost of the computer and transport costs):

Polytronic "low cost" 10 meter: 1800 swiss francs (ECH), approx USD 1500
Megalink system: approx USD 1500 (without the paper and other require items)
Meyton approx 3800 EUROS !
Still waiting for the Haring system, but I do not expect a lot of diference!
Spencer

Re: electronic target systems

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:
IPshooter wrote:David,

Your post reminded me of this thought and it might be a new topic but here goes. It has always seemed to me that electronic targets (Sius Ascor) are "generous" in their scoring. I base this on my own experience with calling shots, and I'd swear the Sius Ascor AP targets were very kind to me.
I am not really in a position to answer this one Stan as all of my shooting, what little I now do, is on Sius Ascor. As such I have no comparison and anyway, with the lack of practice, my shot calling is not as accurate as it used to be.

If the systems are being generous then my shooting really has gone downhill ;-(
Not in any of the target system validation sessions that I have been involved in.
Accurate - yes
Generous - no

Spencer
bryan

Post by bryan »

If you are shooting better on electronic targets it is most likely because you are keeping a better rythm without having to change targets etc.
sometimes it can be novelty effect.
some shooters dont look at the result with electronics, but have to when changing targets.
keeping in mind electronic target rules for protests, it would be wise to check each shot.

scatt etc work well as a trainer, I would be looking at a trainer before an electronic scorer as an individual.
maybe as a club it would be different.

scatt etc has lots of info, biggest issue I see is not understanding what it is telling you. Or more what it means.
A trainer is good to send results to your coach etc, but will never replace a good hands on coach.

for best results trainers need to be set up correctly for what you want them to do. otherwise you may get the wrong information, which is not the fault of the trainer.
imho