Butch Powell is gone

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Butch Powell is gone

Post by pilkguns »

More known in the Bullseye circles, but a fine shooter and a fine gentleman that did all he could for the sport.

http://www.funeralplan.com/oakesandnich ... s?id=94308
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

A great man; a jovial gentleman, raconteur and somewhat of a "Force of Nature." Butch's matches were always a delight- and he drew the big names of the sport from all around the country. We could all aspire to be a little bit more like Butch- and that would make the world a better place.

He will be sorely missed.

"A good man to have around the campfire."

Steve Swartz
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Sad to hear. Butch was a great competitor and contributor to the shooting sports, and will be sorely missed. IIRC, he won the Bullseye Regional in Canton a number of years ago, when I was but a pup. That's an accomplishment many shooters, including myself, would be proud to have on their résumés.

My thoughts go out to Butch's family and friends.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

From the CMP newsletter:

"In Memoriam. Captain Patrick O. "Butch" Powell (Ret.), 62, died in Columbia, Tennessee, on April 10, 2007. Captain Powell joined the U.S. Air Force in 1965 and served four years during the Vietnam War. Upon discharge from active duty, he joined the Tennessee National Guard and retired as a Captain with a total of twenty-nine years of military service.

He was a 2670 pistol shooter, earned the Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge in 1983, was awarded the President's Hundred Tab 10-times, won the Na­tional Guard's Wilson Matches twice and the Interservice Pistol Champion­ship three times (3-gun). Powell won the National Trophy Individual Pistol Match in 1995. He was inducted into the National Guard Marksman Hall of Fame. Captain Powell was the Officer-In-Charge of the All National Guard Service Pistol Team from the mid-1980's to 1989. After his retirement from the National Guard, he was a member of the Springfield Armory Pistol Team. He will be remembered as a champion shooter and a team-leader who is respected by all who served or competed with him."

I just knew Butch as a friendly, outgoing guy who ran a great match.

Steve Swartz