used pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Supperdog2

used pellets

Post by Supperdog2 »

Just want to know how I should handle the spent or uesd lead pellets?
I shoot AR and AP at my basement but after twenty tins of pellets ther are lots used pellets. Is there some place I can turn it in or recycle?
Thank you.
Supperdog
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

There should be, you'll need to find out about scrap metal dealers in your area. They may need a certain amount before they'll take it so consider sweeping it up into a bucket or two and then drop it off when you have enough. It's probably wise to wear a face mask whilst sweeping up, to avoid breathing in any lead dust.

Rob.
CraigE

Used to "new"

Post by CraigE »

You might check your area for clubs/shooters into black powder. The are often happy to get a supply of lead which is the quality of used pellets in order to cast.
TomN

Post by TomN »

Some communities have a hazardous waste collection site ("Clean Sweep") that accepts materials that should not go into the normal refuse stream. Your local government offices should be able to tell you more.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

get a cap & ball revolver & a mold :)

Poole
PaulB

Other lead disposal

Post by PaulB »

Is there anyone with experience with the regulated disposal of small quantities of lead contaminated cleaning supplies, such as dust mops, wet type mop heads, cleaning towels, mop water, vacuum debris, etc.? I am assuming that the vast majority of people that use non-range public spaces (classrooms, gyms, meeting rooms, cafeterias, firehouses, Legion Halls, etc.) for shooting airgun just put this stuff in normal waste (the dumpster for solids or down the drain for liquids). The amounts of lead that we are talking about are pretty small and are miniscule when compared to other hazardous materials placed in normal waste every day. However, this does not stop the regulators from trying to regulate this. Has anyone been "forced" to dispose of this stuff by other means?
TomN

Other lead disposal

Post by TomN »

With regard to Paul's question, for most individuals the amount of lead generated is indeed small. Moreover, elemental or alloyed lead of the type found in spent pellets is relatively stable (i.e., it is a large chunk of metal rather than dust, so it doesn't become airborne and spread, nor does it get inhaled as fine particulate lead might.) When placed in a modern landfill it should not be a hazard. That said, if there is a mechanism to recycle it, a responsible shooter should use that mechanism. By way of example, my community collects old fluorescent bulbs to recycle rather than allow the minute amount of mercury in those bulbs to go into the landfill. Homeowners have several places to take these old bulbs. If they did not, the police would not come to their door to force the issue. I think most homeowners comply, though, because it is the right thing to do.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Another solution may be to collect it and then take it to an outdoor range that uses earthen berms. They can just add it to the berm.

I'd spoken to a local range owner about their lead handling and he'd mentioned that a common solution is to add lime to the soil to prevent the lead from breaking down, eventually it will be excavated and properly disposed of.

I suspect that my pellets are too munged up w/ duct puddy to be conveniently recycled for shooting purposes.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

Most city's of any size have a metals salvage business. Accumulate until you have a few pounds then take to the salvage and sell. I save all the primers from my reloading, as well as rifle & pistol brass no longer useable. It all goes to the salvage yard every couple of years. Doesn't bring much, but pays for a little more ammo. (Or find a reloader that casts his own bullets and give it to him).