Walther GSP Expert 22

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
alchemist

Walther GSP Expert 22

Post by alchemist »

Does anyone shoot a Walther GSP Expert 22,if so what ammo would you recommend for prac/comp?
Richard H

Re: Walther GSP Expert 22

Post by Richard H »

alchemist wrote:Does anyone shoot a Walther GSP Expert 22,if so what ammo would you recommend for prac/comp?
The best part about Walther's is they will just about eat anything ( not nearly as fussy as some of the newer guns). Any of the European target ammo works fine Eley, Lapua and RWS. I've shot them in my standard GSP and a collegue who has an Expert has never had a problem with any of them either.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

My old 1986 vintage GSP even does fine with cheapo CCI standard velocity.

Bill
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Likje I said eat will fucntion with about any standard velocity .22 CCI, lapua, Winchester T22, Eley, RWS, Aguila, Wolf ect
alchemist

RIM

Post by alchemist »

Does anyone do rim measuring? Are all of these types of rounds for practice and the same ones for competition???What rounds would the masters shooters use in competition?I've tried varies rounds but have not been able to choose one that shoots best!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'm sure there are some that do, but for pistol with the size of the ten and the distance you're shooting, ammo selection is nowhere near as critical as with 50m free rifle shooting.

For Standard pistol the biggest thing is reliability ie you don't want alibis. I've found the name brand European ammo to be far more consitent than the the North American stuff (you can get a good batch of NA ammo but the next batch will have lots of misfires).

Out of my last two cases of Lapua (1 Super Club and 1 Standard Club (ammo in a can)) I've had less than 6 alibis (usually because the gun needs to be cleaned). I've had si,ilar experience with Eley Target Pistol.

Some guys use the lower cost model for practice and the higher cost for match ie Eley Practice (white box) for practice and Eley Target Pistol for matches same with Lapua . If you stick within the brand the load are basically the same so they perform very close to one another.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Thanks Rich for your input, does anyone use Eley Tenex / Lapua Pistol King or is that over -kill?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

alchemist wrote:Thanks Rich for your input, does anyone use Eley Tenex / Lapua Pistol King or is that over -kill?
Yes people use it, personally I think its over kill for Standard Pistol, free pistol thats a different story. I was going to pick up a brick of the Signum and try it. I know some of the Paridini's had trouble feeding with the EPS bullet (the little tit), haven't heard of any problems with the GSP feeding th
alchemist

AMMO

Post by alchemist »

If you get the Lapua Signum,I would like to know how it shoots,I've never tried that one!!Have you ever shot the SK Jagd -Standard Pus/Pistol Match???
Richard H

Re: AMMO

Post by Richard H »

alchemist wrote:If you get the Lapua Signum,I would like to know how it shoots,I've never tried that one!!Have you ever shot the SK Jagd -Standard Pus/Pistol Match???

Unfortunateyly no one handles Sk jagd in Canada but I beleive that is who makes the Standard Club (bullets in a can) for Lapua and it shoots great last case was a little greaser than I like but shoots well.
bubba_zenetti

Post by bubba_zenetti »

i have had best luck with wolf match extra or sk pistol match (the wolf is sk made ammo)

although the pistol will feed anything you give it.
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

Have a look at http://hem.bredband.net/nfdt/22lr/index.html which shows a test done by Swedish gun magazine trying out some 22 lr ammo.
julioalperi

Ammunition 22 LR test

Post by julioalperi »

bjsulla===>THANKS A LOT!!!!
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Hi bjsulla, I can not totally open this site I think? What I see is three pistols on top and many types of ammo on the left!! I assume there should be targets with results of the test!! If someone can open this site would you give an idea which were rated best for the WALTHER GSP, thanks
chukeeee

GSP expert

Post by chukeeee »

I've been shooting a GSP expert since last May. One season in our local outdoor league, and almost a full season in two indoor leagues. Still haven't cleaned it, still no alibi's! Before I bought the expert, I used a mid 80's vintage GSP, as does my wife. We use SK standard plus. I get it from Champions Choice. We have used it for several years now, I don't know how many cases we have gone through, but I don't remember ever having one fail to fire.
"shoot 10's and give them friends"
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

Yes, both SK Pistol Match and SK Special Pistol Match shows some really nice groupings for the GSP in the link above.
alchemist

Post by alchemist »

Hi Bjsulla,Since I can not see the results of the test,if you could give me by number which you think is (the ammo on left) the top 5 for the GSP. I do not understand WHY I can not see the results??? thanks
Bill A

Re: GSP expert

Post by Bill A »

chukeeee wrote:I've been shooting a GSP expert since last May. One season in our local outdoor league, and almost a full season in two indoor leagues. Still haven't cleaned it, still no alibi's! Before I bought the expert, I used a mid 80's vintage GSP, as does my wife. We use SK standard plus. I get it from Champions Choice. We have used it for several years now, I don't know how many cases we have gone through, but I don't remember ever having one fail to fire.
What do you think of the GSP Expert vs. your older gun?

Bill
chukeeee

GSP Expert

Post by chukeeee »

Bill, the Expert performs the same, as in no malfunctions. It is so nice not having to think about whether the gun is going to work or not. My scores are about the same, I think my average went up a couple points last summer outdoors, but I haven't seen any increase this season indoors, but I never practice, and I've been working out of town a lot lately, so I haven't even made all the matches. The expert stays on target better during timed and rapid, but I also have the extra weight/absorber hanging on the front. I'm not a big proponent of two-stage triggers, but I set up both guns(I also replaced my .32 GSP with an expert) so the triggers are acting like single stage. I like the finger pieces on the two-stage trigger assemblies, they are more ergonomic. My centerfire scores also went up last summer, I think the recoil absorber has a bigger effect on the .32. The new style grips are also an improvement. Of course, you could always put the new style grip and two stage trigger on an older GSP.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have had 3 Walther GSP's over the years and know several shooters who have used them. I have yet to see one that will not digest almost any ammo that it is fed.
Most recently I used Wolf Match Target and Aquilla SE std Vel ammo in the GSP.