Any thoughts on the Air Arms MPR Rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jlochey

Post by jlochey »

Anyone have any thoughts on the Air Arms MPR rifle?

Anyone ever touch one?

http://www.air-arms.co.uk/MPR.htm

Any good for mid-level 10m standing-only?

Thanks to all.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Unless it is tricked out fully, I would not consider it a"precision" rifle, and then only as a trainer.

Configured in a "sporter" mode it is only legal in NRA sporter competitions.
It is not legal in the 3PARC events. (CMP)

I've only seen them (and handled them) at the National Coach conference, and seen them (sporter mode) being fired at the NRA Team Nationals.

I'm not sure of it's accuracy ... I'm partial to a Lothar Walther barrel as found on the 888/887/753, etc rifles. I think the MPR has the same barrel as the T200's and the XS-40's which is not a L-W barrel.
Take the above with a grain of salt as I've never fired one.
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

We in South Africa use the S400 MPR extensively in our development program and as a starter precision rifle.

I would like to correct JHMartin ------- the Air Arms S400 MPR only uses barrels supplied by Lothar Walther.

We have found the rifles to be superior to the other entry level precision rifles and machine testing has confirmed that 10 Mt accuracy is equal to the more expensive German rifles. Over here an MPR is half the price of the cheapest German rifle.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I stand corrected .... see what you learn here?

If it has the L-W barrel, accuracy should be top notch.

Keep in mind though that here in the USA, the MPR is not approved by the 3PARC as stated above. I don't know if they intend to submit it again to the council....
Joe66

Why a MPR

Post by Joe66 »

Personal, I rather buy a used FWB, Asnchutz or Walther than a brand new MPR or Daisy. You can get the FWB 600, FWB 601 or the Anschutz SUperAir 2001 for about the same price or lower than the AirArm MPR. They can all shoot one-hole group, and has a better trigger, and better everything. With a FWB 600 or 601, they will out last your new MPR.
Joe66

FWB 600

Post by Joe66 »

I was told that Champion Choice has two used FWB 600 for sale. They are in excellent condition.
randy1952

8002 ANS

Post by randy1952 »

I figured out by the time you tricked out the MPR you would be pretty close to the price of a ANS 8002 Club Rifle.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

When I chatted with the Air Arms reps at the coach conference a few years ago, it seemd the concept was that you would start someone off in sporter with the MPR configured as such, and that that would be the "low cost" option.

As the shooter moved into precision, you could reconfigure and purchase the options incrementally thus spreading the cost of the "tricked out" version over 3-4 years.

I think it is a good concept, except the sporter version is still over a cost point that seemed to be set with the 3P Air Rifle Council ..... thus it never got on the "approved" rifle list.