High speed camera - target pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Axel

High speed camera - target pistols

Post by Axel »

Hey,

I came across something very interesting. Take a look here: http://karlslundesport.dk/default.asp?A ... u&Item=114

For those of you that doesn't understand danish, here's a short translation:

Karlslunde Sport did functional tests with seven different pistols and with four different brands of ammunition. The goals of the test were to show how the pistol is feeding, how many times the slide bounced on the barrel, recoil/mussle jump and how long it takes for the pistol to get ready after one shot etc. All this is filmed by a Weinberger high speed camera at 1000, 2000 and 5000 pictures per second. If you want a DVD with all the films - 50 danish crowns including postage.

Download the short movies and enjoy! :-) Please post your impressions and analysis of the films.

Cheers,
Axel
F. Paul In Denver

Post by F. Paul In Denver »

Pretty amazing stuff Axel - thanks for the link.

It seems like the bolts on the Pardini and the MG really do the most bouncing when a fresh round is chambered while the Walther SSP looks absolutely motionless after the bolt goes forward.

The trajectory of the spent casing coming out of the SSP is very cool to watch too.

F. Paul in Denver
jackh

Post by jackh »

Amazing indeed. Looking at the Xesse-Federal film, you can see the bullet is gone before any great recoil movement. Then the gun moves some, then the slide hits back and the gun moves much more.

Thanks for the translation. I'm 4th generation Danish-American and a whole lot of German too. I couldn't read it.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

F. Paul wrote:It seems like the bolts on the Pardini and the MG really do the most bouncing when a fresh round is chambered while the Walther SSP looks absolutely motionless after the bolt goes forward.
I noticed how the bolts bounced as well. I thought the Walther expert had the most bounce. The ssp does look like it just closes - once.
F. Paul also wrote:The trajectory of the spent casing coming out of the SSP is very cool to watch too.
What I noticed was that the Matchguns and the Walther ssp were the only ones to have what I consider a pure ejection of the spent case across all specimens. If you watch the others eject, some of the the cases collide with something after the ejector, whether bolt or frame. At first look I really liked the Matchguns ejection, but I have to agree that the ssp seems to show a "soft and elegant" ejection, in slow motion, at least.

Thanks to Axel for a link to some great videos, and thanks to Karlslunde Sport for posting them on line for our enjoyment.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

And this explains why Cesare decided to install a bolt brake instead of some otherwise bouncing steel rods on the MG Rapid Fire...
rapid2

hurt hands

Post by rapid2 »

Great fun, thanks!

Makes one wonder how many cases the SSP will eject onto the top of your hand ;-)

Bob
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Boy I still like the MG-2, too bad I had one of the first---liked that gun. The SSP seemed to take forever for the spent case to get out of the way. It's amazing the unbelievable complexity of the MG-2---I was fascinated with the Rube Goldberg operation---tremendously complex piece of engineering, which was my comment when I took mine out of the box. If I were ever to look for another standard pistol---I wouldn't know what to look at---my two current favourites are just not reliable guns as of yet. The SSP hasn't been heard of since the original flurry of news and the MG-2 seems to be relegated to the "Black Hole of Calcutta" as well. Oh well, such is life.
julioalperi

DVD

Post by julioalperi »

I tried to buy that DVD but they didn´t bothered to answer my email.
johnbraks

recoil movies

Post by johnbraks »

Have these movies disappeared....?
James

Post by James »

It still works for me. Looks like they have a couple of new ones.

High-speed movies gone....

Post by 55 »

No, I cannot find any no links to the movies at Karlslunde anymore....
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

They still work for me.
Mike Taylor

Movies

Post by Mike Taylor »

The link given in the opening message of this thread still works for me, too. It does take several minutes from the time I click on the file I want until it actually displays on my screen. I suppose that the time taken depends upon the sophistication (or lack thereof) of my computer system :-)
David M

Tesro .32

Post by David M »

Interesting to watch.

I have been chasing a feed/malfunction fault on the Tesro .32 (and to some extent the .22) and some time ago determined it was the slide hold open lock that was clipping the slide during recoil.
This I believe was also causing the early slides to crack near the cutout.
I increased the spring size and deepened the slot and fixed the problem.

The video shows this happening in slow motion and the slide lock actually bounces up twice during recoil.
The fix was sent to Tesro (I do not know if it is included in the latest pistols, I have not seen a new one for a while).

Nearly all the bugs are out of the Tesro's now and they are competition read. Next job, to get it to group at 50 yds and convert the mags to 6 rounds.
Mike Taylor

Six rounds

Post by Mike Taylor »

OK, David, I'll bite. Why six rounds? Presumably not an ISSF or NRA (Conventional Pistol) or IPSC event.
David M

6 rounds

Post by David M »

Hi Mike,
We have a match called Service pistol (similar to WA 1500 or the FBI police and services match).
Spencer

Re: 6 rounds

Post by Spencer »

David M wrote:Hi Mike,
We have a match called Service pistol (similar to WA 1500 or the FBI police and services match).
(Pistol Australia) Service Pistol has minimum 9mm calibre and minimum Power Factor or 120 000.
The Service Pistol Unrestricted event allows .32 and has no Power Factor requirement.
Both these 90-shot events have 6-shot strings.

Spencer